Kettle sour Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsbrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't see many posts in here for e-kettle sours. I am making a gose and have a Kal clone system using a boilcoil. My plan is 10 min boil, chill to 100f, pitch lacto, spray kettle with CO2, toss on lid and cover with blankets/heating pads, but also have my pid running at 101f. Anyone have issues with lacto getting fried from elements? Or see an issue with my process.

Thanks.

Kettle sour means the wort is soured in the boil kettle after pasteurization and chilling below 110F, hence the name and the use of a boil coil in this instance.

It is direct heat in the BK (hence kettle sour). Anyone else have some input? I'm more interested in the heating element issue. Thanks.

My explanation was directed towards aeviaanah, in response to the HERMS comment. I don't see any issues with your intended process. After I finish converting my brewery to electric, I plan to run kettle sours using a Boilcoil as well. With the ULWD of the Boilcoil, I don't see an issue. I suppose you could recirculate the wort to minimize direct contact time with the coil, but convection may take care of that for you.

I have wine preserver which is supposedly an inert gas heavier than air. Going to load up the BK with that, then put tinfoil around the top, wrapped tight with duct tape, then put lid on it for weight.

Im doing this right now as I type this... skipped the co2 though. element barely comes on... my fear is scorching from proteins settling on the element.

I do a somewhat bastardized kettle sour with my setup. I mash as I normally would then I collect the runnings in a old better bottle filling as close to the top as possible. I use a C02 stone to scrub as much of the residual oxygen as possible, and then place an airlock on top. Once that is done I set the better bottle inside my mash tun, fill the mash tun with water and set my RIMS to hold the temp i want. It allows me to sour at the temp I want, completely void of oxygen. Then when i'm done, I pour into my boil kettle and boil as normal.

Latest posts

Back