Kettle or Keggle for MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thephysicist

Reaction score
Here's the dilemma I've been struggling with recently regarding a change to my all-grain setup. I essentially have two kettles, a converted 15gal keg and a 15 gal Blichmann kettle. The Blichmann I've had for a while and the keggle is a recent addition (neighbors were throwing away a perfectly good keg!). I would like to convert one of these to a MLT to replace the converted cooler I normally use.

My long term goal is to build a two-vessel system electric system. I now have those two vessels and I can't imagine there is a significant difference between the two in terms of mashing. I might be splitting hairs on this one, but before I buy a false bottom and start drilling holes I thought I would see if anyone has thoughts or suggestions.

Use the keg. If you F something up while drilling and installing the heating element and the false bottom, you won't feel as bad if it's the keg. You WILL feel bad if it's the Blichmann kettle.

Id always prefer my nicer vessel to be my boil vessel. More happens in the boil kettle. The wort goes in there.

I bought the Sabco false bottom for my keg MLT and it fits so beautifully on the concave bottom.... It has two little feet to support in the middle, but how it rests on the entire edge is great. That's my $.02

Latest posts

Back