Kettle options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsPlease

Reaction score
I can't decide on what kind of kettle I want to buy. I am going to do 5 gallon batches with all grain so I want like an 8 gallon kettle. I have seen kettles on here that have whirl pooling hook ups on the bottom of them, spigots on the bottom, different thicknesses of kettles. Which one should I get? Can't you still whirlpool without having a special whirlpool kettle?

You want a 9g+ kettle for 5g. batches. I had 8g. kettles and was always really close to boiling over. You don't need special whirlpool fittings and honestly, some hops/trub in the fermenter won't hurt a thing. Whirlpool with your mash paddle/spoon and put a valve with side pickup in the kettle. Here are some options:

http://spikebrewing.com/collections/stainless-steel-kettles

Personally I'd get aluminum if cost is important and drill a hole, get the 1/2" weldless bulkhead/valve kit from Bargain Fittings and be on with life.

Thank you for your input. The valve with the side pickup.... Is that a lot better than using a racking cane so suck the wort out of the kettle?

Thank you for your input. The valve with the side pickup.... Is that a lot better than using a racking cane so suck the wort out of the kettle?

Not really per se. If you whirlpool well enough I suppose the auto-siphon on the outer edge of the bottom of the pot is fine. Just requires more effort and cleaning. For starting out you can certainly just get the pot and use the siphon. You'll be sooo glad you got a larger pot though. And then, if you're like me, you'll get comfortable doing close boils and start pushing recipe sizes up :D

just buy your kettle once. I would not go below 10gals, youll still have to be mindful of boilovers. Fittings with dip tubes are much easier than siphoning after you chill. If its about budget then at least start with a bigger kettle and you can always add fittings later. my 2 cents.

Oh, almost forgot. Get some fermcap-S from LHBS or online (Northern Brewer, etc.). That stuff will keep boilovers at bay LIKE A BOSS! :D

I started..
$40 for 12qt SS stock pot when i did extract.5G batches
Then went "all grain"
$40 for 40qt Alum/pot when i started all grain.5G batches
Then,Why brew 5g,when you could brew 10g.
$70 for keg, make keggle.
So i say buy the biggest now.You'll save later

You want a 9g+ kettle for 5g. batches. I had 8g. kettles and was always really close to boiling over. You don't need special whirlpool fittings and honestly, some hops/trub in the fermenter won't hurt a thing. Whirlpool with your mash paddle/spoon and put a valve with side pickup in the kettle. Here are some options:

http://spikebrewing.com/collections/stainless-steel-kettles

Personally I'd get aluminum if cost is important and drill a hole, get the 1/2" weldless bulkhead/valve kit from Bargain Fittings and be on with life.

:mug:

It's already been said but sit down and do some serious thinking if you'll ever want to do 10gal batches. You can start with the 10gal kettle and you can always clean it up and sell it. That's that awesome thing about stainless.

Double-R said:
I started..
$40 for 12qt SS stock pot when i did extract.5G batches
Then went "all grain"
$40 for 40qt Alum/pot when i started all grain.5G batches
Then,Why brew 5g,when you could brew 10g.
$70 for keg, make keggle.
So i say buy the biggest now.You'll save later

pretty much this. I have a 12g keggle now and can nearly do 10g batches...wish I had a 20g so I could do 15!

I came real close to buying a 10 or 12 gallon kettle. Ended up getting a 15 gallon pot from spikebrewing......happy I did.

One thing that I don't like about getting a huge 15 gal is that it probably wouldn't fit on my gas burner in the kitchen. that means I would have to spend even more money on a banjo burner and then I would have to do it outside. And isn't it easier to get foreign yeast in the batch when you do it outside? Another thing is that I would need double the amount of bottle at once (or a kegging setup which is even more money). and then the more money I spend on it the harder it is to justify. What if I can't make a beer I really like? I am betting I can but I still can't help but wonder. I have brewed two batches so far with a friend and the first batch is in the fridge and decent. I have hope though because I can already see holes in his method and I have learned a lot by reading around on here.

I am done rambling :mug:

All I can say is that I tried to save money and "get by" with this and that as I went...and I upgraded at every turn anyways. Looking back (always easier to do) I wish I had saved my money (although I wouldn't have been brewing all-grain as much and as consistently) and just plunked down for a 10g. setup. You can still brew 5g. in a 10g. setup other than the burner issue. I have an e-brewery though, so it doesn't matter :rockin:

One thing that I don't like about getting a huge 15 gal is that it probably wouldn't fit on my gas burner in the kitchen. that means I would have to spend even more money on a banjo burner and then I would have to do it outside.

I was in a similar boat and got a 10G pot. Since I live in a townhouse, I don't have anywhere to brew outside except my deck which would be tough. I'm glad I got the 10G pot...and even happier when I realized that the 15G pot wouldn't even fit under my range hood.

I would at least get a kettle with a ball valve. It just makes it a lot easier to drain.

Thanks guys. Is it a valid concern to be worried about foreign yeast getting in the batch when you brew outside? Pretty sure I am gonna get the 10 gal kettle with the valve on bottom:ban:

Thanks guys. Is it a valid concern to be worried about foreign yeast getting in the batch when you brew outside? Pretty sure I am gonna get the 10 gal kettle with the valve on bottom:ban:

I'd venture to say the majority of 10g. brewers do it outside because they're using propane. Never heard of much risk of foreign yeast. Personally I hated brewing outside though. Had to make so many trips back inside for things I needed...I did it once and then built my electric stuff so I could brew in the basement.

Started with a turkey fryer "moved" up to a keggle sold the fryer. Then I went bigger sold the keggle to a fellow board member and now use a 120 qt kettle 40 qt hot liquor tank and a 10 gallon mash tun . Lost money selling each one .

here is my setup now brew outside 100% of the time never had an infection .

beer006.jpg

I am contemplating going larger with automation

That mash tun has to be pushing the limit, right? 10g? I got a 70qt just to be able to do big beers in 9g. batches.

You cant get hurt buying a bigger pot. I have an 8gal stock pot that works for 5gal batches on th stove, but the 10,000btu burner has a hard time getting it to temp with the lid on. It will not get it past 180F with te lid off. Go BIG!!! my 15gal keggel makes brewing fun.

Back