kettle lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
when should and shouldnt I use my lid? Like during boil? or during cooling? Not sure what to do? About to brew my first batch in like 20 minutes! :rockin:

You don't need a lid. I don't even have one for my boil kettle.

But if you have one, you definitely don't want to use it during the boil or during cooling as that is when the precursors to DMS will boil off. Even having a lid on with it cracked allows the water vapor, with SMM to condense on the lid and drip back in.

Ya thats why i was confused. My video instructions said keep it on and cracked during the cool...but I remember hearing something like you said before on the forums. But the video says it is to keep airborne stuff out of the wort...is there a different way to avoid this or is it not really a problem?

p.s. i do have a cat.. and im paranoid about his damn fur infecting my beer

Ya thats why i was confused. My video instructions said keep it on and cracked during the cool...but I remember hearing something like you said before on the forums. But the video says it is to keep airborne stuff out of the wort...is there a different way to avoid this or is it not really a problem?

p.s. i do have a cat.. and im paranoid about his damn fur infecting my beer

If you've got a lot of stuff floating around, you could try one of those "splatter screens" that are supposed to keep grease from splattering out. I've brewed outside and had to pick out leaves and bees, but normally it's not a problem.

I have a cat and had a dog also - never a problem from floating fur. Its like dry hopping, but with fur LOL.

When I have to brew on my stovetop I keep the lid on to help reach boil temps and then remove it. I'v found I can reach a boil in about half the time as with the lid off.

After steaming away a lot of BK water,I let it steam for a short while to release chlorine & whatnot. Then put the lid on long enough to get it to boil,then remove it. I do put the lid when steeping & cooling,as we have 1 cat & 2 dogs. I had to clean my bottling bucket/secondary a couple times yesterday before racking because of pet dander. I hate that.
But,anyway,The beers have been fine,with no off flavors/aromas. Since I do mixed extract batches,it may not be as critical as AG.

Latest posts

Back