Kettle fittings, advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
My buddy and I are building an eBIAB (basket) rig together and I need some help with fittings. We are having a custom kettle made by spike. The system will use mostly quick disconnect camlocks and I need a solution for the whirlpool/recirculation port. I really like this solution and think I would like to emulate this setup closely:
img_2759-jpg.548074

but my recirculation port will be 2 inches down the side of the kettle from the top rather than in the lid itself. What is the best fitting to have spike weld in that position on the kettle if I want separate swappable quick disconnect recirculation and whirlpool arms? What would be the best fitting to have on the arms themselves? Any better ideas on how to get this done? This is our first electric system but we want to do it right. Any help is appreciated.

Why not a 1/2” npt nipple for your cam locks? ( or whatever they are threaded to). You can get the cam locks pretty cheap and then you never have to worry about different connections. Consistency is nice if you want to take hoses off to clean.

Wouldn’t the introduce a lot of threads? As in, wouldn’t that mean threading a 1/2” npt nipple into either end of the 1/2” threaded fitting spike would weld in place? I see how that solution would work going in through the lid weld-less but I think here has to be a better option for a welded bulkhead fitting. Another kettle option I’m thinking about is a brew boss kettle. They are very reasonable with the 2 element housing 10 gallon model coming in at under $200 and have a dual cam lock fitting for recirculating. The only issue I have is that I really want a 15 gallon kettle and their 15 gallon only has a single welded element provision. I wonder if they would do a custom 15 with one more fitting and what that would cost.....

i understand what you mean now. really similar to the way the brew boss kettle does it, they just do a weld-less fitting. Spike doesn't offer that fitting as an option on the custom kettle design page but I guess I don't see why it would be any harder for them to do. Piecing a system together is fun to research and will probably come out a bit cheaper but i kinda just wish i could find a configured system like I want. pretty much just trying to build a brau supply but with dual elements and 15 gallon capacity.

Back