Kettle False Bottom Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeller

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been shy about posting this because its a bit embarrassing. 16 years ago my friend and I began our quest to upgrade to 15 gal kettles...we got 2 free kegs from his parents bar, had the tops cut out, and in our enthusiasm drilled holes for the valves. We did this without having a false bottom, knowing what our set up would be or exactly what kind of build we would have, so it was a pretty disjointed effort. Later on we acquire an ABT false bottom, and no surprise the pick up tube does not line up with the holes we had drilled some years previous.

Attached are photos. This probably is not a really big deal but looking for ideas.

I can cut the tube and probably try to use a flange tool to put that back in the pick up tube bottom that holds it under the screen. I have one for copper but I'll wager it will be much harder to do on stainless. I could also just put a hose clamp on the tube so it will not slide to the bottom of the kettle.
THe pickup tube is only 3/8 od and thought about looking for a 1/2 in one and changing it but still may have to modify.

Worst case I could use the hole to install a sight glass or very worst case just plug it with another valve as a spare outlet.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks Scott

IMG_0560.jpg

A large stainless bolt, 2 stainless washers, and a silicone gasket, to plug the hole, ala "weldless" installs.

I'm guessin' here........The false bottom is not made for a "keggle"?

Thanks. Northernbrewer said it should be fine for keggle. The reason for the poor alignment I eluded to In that we did things over several years without thinking. The holes were drilled a few years prior to getting the false bottom. I would just hook it to a valve and et the flanged end of dip tube slide Down but it's so close to the bottom I fear it will restrict flow

Anyway thanks for the suggestion

Well I just used a pipe cutter and cut down the pick up tube. Have an old flange tool if I can find it that should solve it

A large stainless bolt, 2 stainless washers, and a silicone gasket, to plug the hole, ala "weldless" installs.

I'm guessin' here........The false bottom is not made for a "keggle"?

I agree here it doesn't look made for a keggle. Without going too crazy you could try this one. https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-screen-10.html (don't worry about the review, they had no idea what they were buying.) With it being flat it wouldn't push your dip tube up like that from what I can tell by looking at the picture.

The screen fits the bottom curvature of the keg perfectly it was only the dip tune concern. But I think I want a half inch tube and this bottom looks like it would fit better with relatively low cost vs other screens.

That false bottom IS made for keggles. I have been using with great success for the last 5 years.:)

That FB is made for kegs but that puny diptube is a crime against humanity. It's like 1/4" ID. Drill the hole in the false bottom out and get a real diptube that doesn't use a flare on the bottom.

diptubeWL58-2T.jpg

That FB is made for kegs but that puny diptube is a crime against humanity. It's like 1/4" ID. Drill the hole in the false bottom out and get a real diptube that doesn't use a flare on the bottom.

diptubeWL58-2T.jpg

Thanks Bobby thats the plan...unfortunately I already ordered one - but i'll check out your site - i still have a lot of stuff I need to get this set up going.

Back