Kenmore 8.8 keezer rust problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcubed45

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with rust forming on the interior of their keezers? There're small rust spots forming in the corners of the main interior bottom area. I have a dehumidifier and fan but water frequently collects on the walls and bottom of the keezer. I'm not sure if it's just hawaii thing b/c our air is quite humid.

This's a new freezer that's been running for about 6 months now (converted to keezer upon purchase).

Has anyone had issues with rust forming on the interior of their keezers? There're small rust spots forming in the corners of the main interior bottom area. I have a dehumidifier and fan but water frequently collects on the walls and bottom of the keezer. I'm not sure if it's just hawaii thing b/c our air is quite humid.

This's a new freezer that's been running for about 6 months now (converted to keezer upon purchase).

So the humidity, and the fact that you are more than likely running your freezer at less than freezing temps for brewing applications, such as a keezer, or fermentation is causing the condensation which is creating the problems you describe.

I purchased a 14.0cu freezer off of craigslist about a year ago, and there were very minor rust scratches on the interior and such. I used a product made by LocTite called Rust Neutralizer.

IMAG0155.jpg

Since I purchased the freezer and it was empty, I let it completely air out, I then:

1.) Bleached the interior to kill off any nasties living in there.
2.) Once the bleach dried and evaporated, I scrubbed it with baking soda to remove an lingering odors, then I wiped it clean and let it dry.
3.) After it was completely dry, I sprayed the rust neutralizer on all the seams and any scratches and spots that looked rusty or that I thought might become rusty.
4.) Then I let the rust neutralizer to do its work, and allowed it to dry for 48 hours.
5.) I spray painted the neutralized (blackened) areas with epoxy appliance paint and allowed that to completely cure.
6.) After the epoxy paint was completely cured I caulked all of the seams with 100% clear silicone sealant.
7.) I considered my freezer. . .Repaired.

Obviously you would need to be able to have some down time with your freezer, but if you follow these steps (caulking all seams properly so water can't create additional damage) will cure your freezer ailments.

Hope this was helpful.

BTW, I failed to mention, you should rinse/spray out your freezer and allow it to dry prior to the steps listed above.

FWIW, I have not had any problems whatsoever with any further water damage or rust oxidation since having "repaired" my freezer.

I have the same problem with condensation. I'll likely go through this process suggested above as it's pretty comprehensive.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Eva-Dry does work really well.

I've got 3 of the Eva Dry E 500's , and they work like a charm. I have 1 for my ferm chamber, and 1 for my kegerator, the third is a swap when one of the other two needs a recharge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Eva-Dry does work really well.

I've got 3 of the Eva Dry E 500's , and they work like a charm. I have 1 for my ferm chamber, and 1 for my kegerator, the third is a swap when one of the other two needs a recharge.

ya i've got one of those in the keezer but doesn't seem to make too big a difference :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back