Kegs?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhult

Reaction score
I thinking of switching to kegs. I have no experience with them but what I've read. My main so far unanswered question is... how many kegs can I carb and serve off a 10 lbs bottle?

You wont find a solid answer. It's like asking how many miles per gallon your car gets and not taking into account different makes and models. Things that will off set the # of kegs are leaks, Vols, CO2 used to purge normal air to reduce oxidation, how you carb and so on. All in all the gas is cheap and the bigger the tank the cheaper it is. My 5# is $20 to fill but by 20# is $24.

The number I found is any where from 10 kegs up to 44 5 gal kegs. You wont really know till you have you operation set up and running.

You wont find a solid answer. It's like asking how many miles per gallon your car gets and not taking into account different makes and models. Things that will off set the # of kegs are leaks, Vols, CO2 used to purge normal air to reduce oxidation, how you carb and so on. All in all the gas is cheap and the bigger the tank the cheaper it is. My 5# is $20 to fill but by 20# is $24.

The number I found is any where from 10 kegs up to 44 5 gal kegs. You wont really know till you have you operation set up and running.

Wow, that's insanely expensive!
I pay $10 for a 5 lb.
Where are you getting them filled?
I go to a fire extinguisher servicing place. Look for one near you - don't go to the LHBS. If it's not labelled "for brewing", it's cheaper for the same gas.

kegs-from-co2-67929.jpg

That doesn't take carbonating into account!

1-2 5 gallons kegs per lb of CO2. So for your 10 lb bottle, 10-20 kegs depending on your purging, serving pressure, etc.

Also make sure you have a full backup. Nothing is worse than wanting to pour a pint and the gas is empty because of usage or a leak.

I have a 5gal tank and I probably get about 4 to 6 keg carbonation and dispenses out of it. I also use C02 for transferring and I usually bottle out of kegs so that is what makes it vary. I also need to get better about using all of the C02 in the tank as I usually refill it before it's completely out. That's why my number varies so much.

Latest posts

Back