Kegs!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand corrected to my previous post that I am editing over. I guess you'll have to figure out what kind of keg you have. If it is a sanke valve keg, then yes they are refillable.

As for commercial beer kegs, some guy on the internets had this to say....

"You can't get a keg refilled. Kegs are the property of the brewery whose beer came in it, and no one but breweries have the equipment to refill them.
Unless you're talking about a "corny" keg, used by homebrewers, which is a converted soda-pop container... but it's illegal for anyone to fill those for you as well.
You can take the empty keg back to the store where you bought it, get your deposit back, and they can order a new keg for you. That's the only possibility.
Also, to clear something up, as a consumer you cannot legally purchase anything from a distributor/wholesaler. That's one of the few alcohol rules governed by the Federal Government. It's called the 3-tier system (brewery-importer/wholesaler-retailer) and it's active in all 50 states.

Source(s):
10+ yrs in the beer business... Lifelong Beer Advocate...
Drink Better Beer!

(EDIT)
Not sure who gave a thumbs down... but you CANNOT get a keg refilled. If you're talking about getting a new keg of beer, a discount liquor store is your best bet... one that carries a huge variety.
But, for the 3rd time, you can NOT refill a keg. It's not even possible without a keg washer and filler that a brewery would have, which costs thousands of dollars."

Back