Kegs v bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
I have bottled for now 30 yrs and although it is not the full keg system I opted for the Tap A Draft system. I have 4 taps and so far only had 3 in use at one time. I must admit that the Co2 bulbs up the cost but a total of $aud8 per 24 litres is not bad. So instead of $10 - $15 per batch it is $18 - $23(Gee! a brewer that can add).

It cost me approximatly the same as a small full keg system but I am happy I went this way as taking a 6 litre to a gathering is beaut. It is keg fresh not like decanting into another container to take. I will not go for the nitrous as with my beers and the tad system there is no lack of foamy head. Which was a nice suprise as the same beer in bottles would not produce a great head.
The main difference in taste appears to be a smoother mouth feel which is positive. There has not been a negative yet.

I visited the local brew shop and tasted the latest offering made the long way and maybe it is my taste but I could not detect a vast difference to a Tooheys kit beer. I guess the beauty is on the tongue of the beholder. Brewing is not my hobby it is only to get a great quality cheap beer.

I used to spend nearly 2 hours washing and bottling now say 3/4 hr tops.

It is winter now so my brews after ferment take a while to carb up. Forced lagering.

So I will continue this way and gradually recycle my long necks

I switched (partially) to mini kegs as well a wee bit back, Also noticed the incredible head the beer gets in them compared to exactly the same brew that is in bottles. Nice bonus thrown in.

It gets better, I just tapped a Lager type from a kit supplied by a supermarket. I am amazed just how much better it tastes.

I will add that the kit even if labeled as Lager is more the Aiussie style of beer not the European variety. I also did not control the temperature in a true lagering fashion but who cares it is delicious. Gassy, beautiful head and very difficult not to keep going back for another.

I am about to start a Coopers Bitter which has a nice round taste very malty and well hopped. I have some left in bottles and am anxious to try the same kegged.
I am still trying to obtain a Cascade Spicy Ghost. I visited the Cascade brewery in Tasmania. They use water aurguably the cleanest in the world. The brewery is situated at the foot of Mt Wilson. Ahh! what a place Tasmania is. It is like stepping into the 1800's. Nothing like the mainland where I live. The sea water is invisable like clear crystal and the animal population is everywhere to see. Troubler is they wander into the road and the road kill is horrific.
I was sitting outside our van and a Eikidna waddled up and calmly walked over my foot. They are not dangerous although I heared they have very sharp claws.
Sorry about that, off topic Still if you get a chance see the place for yourself.

Latest posts

Back