Kegs: Mixing and matching ball & Pin lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
I'm still in the beginning stages of making my keezer. Only have the chest freezer, have yet to purchase the hardware/tubing besides the kegs.

I currently have 3 ball lock kegs in my possession but I want to do a 4 keg setup. I can jam 4 ball lock kegs into the "main" floor of the chest freezer (the base of one of the kegs is off the floor of the freezer pinned between the wall and the other keg) and keep the CO2 tank on the hump or fit 3 ball locks with the CO2 tank comfortably on the main floor and a pin lock on the hump. I can't fit a ball lock on the hump due to it's height which is greater than my 5 1/2" collar.

I know that everyone says "once you decide on a connection for your kegs, stick with that kind and don't switch". However, I don't understand why it would be a big deal if I had 3 ball lock connections and 1 pin lock connection. I'd just have to make sure that I marked the pin lock connections with a P to make them easy to recognize. I can also get a pin lock for $35 vs $75 for the cheapest ball lock.

Am I missing something obvious?

All the cool kids have ball locks?

I have 2 ball locks, a pin lock, and a pin lock converted to ball. You just have to be sure that some sets (from gas manifold to tap) are always pin lock, and others are ball. No mixing. That limits your ability to get something kegged and on tap sometimes.

The other difference is that pin lock keg lids usually dont have pressure relief valves. You can get replacement. Lids sometimes.

You can also change the posts to ball locks. I got a $30 keg and spent $22 on the posts. $52 total might be worth it.

Of course, when I convert the other one, it will be $22 for the fittings PLUS new ball lock disconnects. That's more like $65 total, but not all at once.

I have two pin locks and one ball lock. As long as you have enough of the connections of each kind, I don't see the issue.

If you're truly concerned, get MFL connections to the QD's and if you get a 5th keg to always have one keg to replace the other one, just swap out the QD's on the swivel nuts. Just have enough QDs on hand for the max number of kegs in the given style.

I have 12 kegs in all and two are pin locks. With that said, rather than invest in new pin lock connections I opted to convert them over to ball locks to keep things consistent.

I ordered the conversion kit from corny kegs.com for a reasonable price.

I will say that I started out with pin locks with no relief valve in the lid. After getting a ball lock with one, it is a handy gizmo to have available.

I started with pin locks but ran into deals on ball locks I couldnt pass up... plus people gave me like5 ball lock kegs so now I have about 20 kegs and an even mix with 5 of them being 10 gallon ball lock kegs.

Back