Keggles, welded couplers, and ball valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilBrewer

Reaction score
About to upgrade my system from 5 gal to 10 gal and I've acquired some kegs which I'll use for my vessels.

Probably going to solder (instead of weld) 1/2" couplers to the kegs, as that seems to be the standard for keggle conversions. That is to say attaching a coupler is the standard--not necessarily soldering.

My question is this: most ball valves are female threaded, so in order to attach them to the couplers in my kegs (also female), should I just use a nipple in between the valve and coupler? Or is it more advisable to buy ball valves with male connections? I know they make them but I just wanted to see if there was strong reason to purchase some.

Thanks.

People will say that the more connections you have, the more sanitation issues you may potentially have...for me, it comes down to money vs. risk. All of my bulkheads are weldless with male nipples serving as the bulkhead and one connection on either side. All this to say I don't think it makes a huge difference.

tre9er said:
People will say that the more connections you have, the more sanitation issues you may potentially have

That is my concern, as well...and it's the only reason this isn't a no-brainer for me. A nipple in between coupler and valve will introduce more threads in which contaminants can hide...but whether it's worth worrying about, I don't know. Anyway thanks for the advice!

That is my concern, as well...and it's the only reason this isn't a no-brainer for me. A nipple in between coupler and valve will introduce more threads in which contaminants can hide...but whether it's worth worrying about, I don't know. Anyway thanks for the advice!

FWIW, I don't even disassemble my bulkheads. The inside is thoroughly heated in the BK and the outside get's a shot of starsan up in it and on it a few times before I drain. Everything else is pre-boil, so it's a non-issue.

Back