keggle question *pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reltuc

Reaction score
starting all grain, just bought a keggle for my boil kettle. was used as a mash tun previously, and heres my problem.

there's about a half-inch hole drilled through the wall of the keg, and that will be a huge problem for me trying to use this as a boil kettle. do you guys have any experience with fixing this situation? would a local metal fabrication company be able to weld this shut?

keggle
2cygodu.jpg

hole for thermometer
25pmszc.jpg

hole for thermometer
29e5gft.jpg

You have a few options.

$ Get a stainless bolt and nut that is the right size and with a few orings plug it up.

$$ Install some type of weldless fitting, valve, thermometer, etc.

$$$Have somebody weld in a bung and put a plug in it.

$$ Sell it to some sucker and buy a brew kettle.

My personal opinion but I wouldn't use a keggle to brew if it was given to me.

You have a few options.

$ Get a stainless bolt and nut that is the right size and with a few orings plug it up.

$$ Install some type of weldless fitting, valve, thermometer, etc.

$$$Have somebody weld in a bung and put a plug in it.

$$ Sell it to some sucker and buy a brew kettle.

My personal opinion but I wouldn't use a keggle to brew if it was given to me.

was thinking of the o-ring option, but wouldn't those break down during 60-minute boils?

also, what are your reasons for steering clear of keggles?

Keggles are awesome mash tuns and boil kettles. Don't listen to him.

Have a welder enlargen the hole and put a 1/2" bung in then screw in a 1/2" plug.

The orings will be fine. Lots of people use them on weldless fittings on their BK. You can use some silicone orings or gaskets if you want food grade at high temp.

As for the keggle thing,
I think they are heavy, bulky, and not designed for that purpose. As well as the small opening in the top that may have sharp edges.

Back