Keggle overkill for 5gal batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericw

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy some half barrel kegs at scrap prices, but since I'm still only doing 5 gal batches, would something that big be too much? I have a brew pot now that is close to boil overs with 6.5 gallons of wort boiling. I would like to move to 10 gallon batches, but I'm not sure if my mash tun is big enough.

Heck no, that's great! I have boiled over a 6 gallon boil in a keggle, believe it or not! So, it's not too big that's for sure.

I can also do 10 gallon batches in the keggle, too, so it's good for either.

My MLT is a 10 gallon Igloo cooler, and it maxes out at about 23 pounds of grain. That means I can do 10 gallons of a beer that has an OG of about 1.064 or less.

Definitely not overkill. I brew all my 5.5 gal batches in my keggle. Plus, I can do double (11 gal) batches if I want to. I routinely do a 90 min boil, so for my system, I need 8.25 gal to end up with 5.5 in the fermenter.

Go for the keggle!!! If you REALLY don't want to use it, I have a 6 gal stainless pot I'll be willing to trade you.

Definitely not overkill. I brew all my 5.5 gal batches in my keggle. Plus, I can do double (11 gal) batches if I want to. I routinely do a 90 min boil, so for my system, I need 8.25 gal to end up with 5.5 in the fermenter.

Need some help in the mash.

I tried to do a f6 gallon batch in my keggles yesterday and I ended way short on my gravity. My problem was to much water in the mash. What is a good ratio for a 1.074 beer in this system. My 10 gallon batches come out great just can't quite dial in the big small batch

Need some help in the mash.

I tried to do a f6 gallon batch in my keggles yesterday and I ended way short on my gravity. My problem was to much water in the mash. What is a good ratio for a 1.074 beer in this system. My 10 gallon batches come out great just can't quite dial in the big small batch

With my old system, I'd go with about 1.3 qts strike water per pound of grain. I now have a HERMS and the ratio varies depending on grain bill and batch size. In general, the ratio falls at around 1.75 qts/pound. That gets me roughly 50% of my water for the mash and 50% for the sparge. With this, I typically hit my numbers dead on. I batch sparge.

Just make sure you double check your thermometer placement (if you plan on having one). You'll want it below the water line for a 5gal batch.

Couldn't see through the steam when I tried a 5gallon batch in a keggle. I like to see the boil and volume.

I have two keggles and a 10 gal Gott style cooler. I have only done 5 gal batches in them. I had two boil overs (don't cover it and don't walk away for too long). I will be converting my keggles to electric soon and probably step up to 10 gal batches in the near future. I'm very happy I went with keggles and returned my 60 qt pot.

Back