Keggle MLT false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-west

Reaction score
I felt like this needed to be shared, I did a lot of searching for a setup I was happy with and this is what I ended up with.

I had about a gallon of deadspace, now I have 2 tbsp.:ban:

12" false bottom -amazon
high flow 1/2" elbow and washer from bobby at brew hardware
2ea quick disconnects 1/2" male (one in the bulkhead fitting, one in the elbow)
My Blichmann auto sparge came with a nut that I didn't use because I have welded fittings, you could just use another ss washer.

The bottom of my keggle is pretty flat (50L) no dimple like most of the larger ones, YMMV.

0114171810.jpg

0114171810a.jpg

The one flaw is that when you start pulling some vacuum on the drain and it pulls the FB downward, it may let that QD nipple hit the bottom of the keg and make a show stopping seal. You may want to cut some large slots about 1/8" deep in the bottom.

I took a clay imprint to measure and I have hair over 3/8" between the bottom and the nipple. How much do these false bottoms flex?

If you get the grain compacted and continue to try pumping out of it, it can flex so much that the dome turns completely inside out. In your case, that nipple would just hit the bottom of the keg.

Never even crossed my mind, did the math and you are right, with the surface area the lbs add up quick!

I will have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

Back