Keggle Build need Welder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CousinsCraft

Reaction score
I have 3 Kegs I am looking to convert into Keggles. I will need the 12" open cut, preferably with a Plasma cutter. I have all the the fittings/Tri-Clamp required to complete each keggle. If someone knows a welder in the North Jersey area who has experience with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Christian

A plasma cutter makes a mess of stainless, I know first hand. my first keggle was cut open by a neighbor who had a plasma in his welding shop. It was not fun cleaning up the cut. Angle grinder and a jig is the best method.

Jerdes,
I have a 65 smp plasma cutter on a cnc table and I guarantee almost perfect cuts with no slag or rough spots. The Plasma tirch is a great tool, but just anybody can't pick one up and cut. It takes practice and patience to develop the hand eye coordination that the plasma jet demands. Might wanna rethink your opinion, since I can cut 10 kegs to your one and be within .0015 on any one to another. Just sayin..... I know different...
Bob

A plasma cutter makes a mess of stainless, I know first hand. my first keggle was cut open by a neighbor who had a plasma in his welding shop. It was not fun cleaning up the cut. Angle grinder and a jig is the best method.

+100 on the angle grinder did 3 of them in a matter of minutes with the jig. More than likely be doing more for buddies when they go to larger vessels :tank:

If the plasma is leaving a mess than the consumables need to be replaced. I have a little 35 amp Hypertherm unit and it cut mine like butter.

whether using plasma or grinder be sure to fill the keg with water to protect the inside from slag. (you with experience already know this) :D

whether using plasma or grinder be sure to fill the keg with water to protect the inside from slag. (you with experience already know this) :D

I 2nd this. I'd never used a plasma cutter in my life. I tried the dremel method and lost the attention span to finish, went to a local homebrewer's house and he let me use his plasma cutter. No jig, just used the keg collar as a guide, clean cut, angle grinder to round off the edges. 15 minute job with cleanup.

i had the best success with a sawzall. Nice clean cuts. No jig needed, just pressed against the top skirt.

Back