Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachelS

Reaction score
I kegged a stout about 10 days ago, I don't have room in my keggerator to force carbonate it at a low temperature so it's sitting in my basement which is typically 55-57 degrees. I looked on a brew kegging chart and saw that at that temp I should put it at 10 psi. It is barely carbonated at all, but has a head when I pour but it quickly goes away. Any suggestions on this?

If both could be accomplished I would say both, however I am more concerned about carbonation at this point. If I have to bring it down to a lower temp, I think I could work that out. But any assistance would be great

10 psi seems a little low at those temps based on my experience. My home kegerator is set for 42. Fortunately I have room in it to carbonate kegs not on tap, and at 10 psi it takes anywhere from 7-10 days before I get good carbonation, and probably a full 2 weeks before it is carboated the way I want most of my beer styles to be.

At the mid 50's I think you'd have to have the pressure a little higher to acheive a good carbonation.

Thank you, I will def. boost the PSI then and see if that will help out.

I'd make sure to do it a few psi at a time so you don't go from under carb'd to super fizzy! Even 3 psi should make a pretty decent difference.

Head retention can be helped by a few different things. I'd do some searches to see what may work best for your specific setup if simply carbing up to the proper level doesn't help with the head.

As for carbing, fully agree with start small. Add a few psi at a time. Also, how long are your serving lines?

thank you guys for the great tips. I appreciate it. I am not sure how long my lines are, that is a good question that I should probably check. I know that they aren't extremely long or short. This is my first batch I've kegged, and I had issues with this batch from the get go. It didn't ferment properly and I am not happy with the smell (but actually tastes pretty good.) I am OK with this being my first batch because it will teach me about what PSI I need to put the kegs at if I can't get them in the fridge.

Hard to tell from your original post, but when you say that your keg of stout is sitting in the basement at 10psi, is it still hooked up to your CO2 tank? Setting to 10 psi and then taking off the gas connect will not force carb over time. The keg needs to equalize while still receiving CO2 from the tank.

Force Carbonation Chart - Kegerators.com
Stouts and porters, 1.50 – 2.20 volumes CO2

At 56F and 10 PSI, you are at 1.72 volumes. You are on the low end of the scale.
You can go up to 16 PSI and be at the higher end. Make a couple of pound adjustment and wait about a week. The gas should stay on at all times. If you are getting too much foam, lengthen the serving line.

Sorry, yes it is hooked up to the c02 tank at all times. I currently have the stout at 16 psi.

It will take about 2 weeks to carb up on gas...let it sit at 16 for awhile and see where you're at

I just wanted to let you all know that turning up the PSI helped and worked. I have the C02 connected to the keg at all times. to answer that question. I had someone try it yesterday evening and they said it was delicious!! Thank you!

Back