Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarous

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm kegging my first batch today, it's an IPA. But I'm not too sure how much pressure I need to put in the corny? Or how long to leave it for? Really appreciate the help

Opinions vary, but I usually prefer the set it and forget it method. Apply CO2 at serving pressure (11 PSI for me) for a week, and it's ready. Don't forget to purge the headspace a few times. If you can't wait that long, set at 30 PSI for 24 hours, then remove gas purge pressure in keg, and re-apply at serving pressure, you should have carbed beer, though it may take a day or two to get rid of the carbonic bite.

@10 psi for a week works well. 2 weeks is even better. To me waiting for a keg to carb is harder than waiting for bottles. You can put the bottles in a closet or somewhere out of sight. The keg.... it just sits there and taunts me. It speaks to me. 'Hey.... come take a sip. Just 1/2 a glass. It'll be okay..... '.

iron_city_ap said:
@10 psi for a week works well. 2 weeks is even better. To me waiting for a keg to carb is harder than waiting for bottles. You can put the bottles in a closet or somewhere out of sight. The keg.... it just sits there and taunts me. It speaks to me. 'Hey.... come take a sip. Just 1/2 a glass. It'll be okay..... '.

He speaks the truth

If the beer is cold you can have it carbed in under an hour.

Make sure to purge the CO2 out. Set the psi to 30. Lay the keg down on the floor and roll it around for 15 minutes. Let it set for 15 minutes. Roll it around for 15 minutes. Let it set for 15 minutes and you're good to go.

Works 60% of the time every time.

^

Plus it gives you the additional advantage of more exercise to allow you more beer before you start getting the beer belly.

I have tried the set it and forget it, but i always end up having to shake...

I now set it to 30 psi, shake it good, throw it in the fridge for 24 hours and then set it to 12psi for another day before i start drinking it. Usually pretty close to what i want in 2 days.

And like homebrew tastic the black panther says, If your really in a hurry set it high and shake it often. Burp it as your serving it, until your pressure is where you want it. Hell, you could be drinking in 1 or a couple of hours!

With out shaking or over pressurizing, it takes 2 weeks at least.

Unless you need a batch immediately, just leave your pressure at your serving pressure. The 5-7 days it will take to get to carb will be the cold crash/aging/flocing/etc time that you need.

But, as mentioned above, 30lbs with 10 one minute long shakes every 10 minutes, and a keg can be ready as fast as it gets cold. Good thing too, cause after all that work, you will need a beer.

I had a keg fridge for 4 years (single stage regulator and 2 taps).... never moved it from 11 lbs.

I'm going to end up having to give the 30lb technique a try this week. We are having some people over this weekend and I put 1 keg under gas on Saturday and the other one will go under on Wednesday when I get home from work.

What about feeding the CO2 through the dispensing line to push the gas through the beer. I have seen several posts here and elsewhere that suggest this "helps" the process.

Any thoughts?

I'm a subscriber to the 30psi, shake and then set to desired pressure to achieve my correct volume of CO2 for the style. It reduced the time required to get to the correct volume but targets the correct volume better in the end.

Another trick is to turn the pressure way down and purge the keg pressure just before you serve. It'll reduce the liklihood of too much head when you serve. I use this technique so I don't have to properly size my lines... I'm lazy.

ThePearsonFam - I will be serving an Ale at 40 degrees through 5' lines.

Can you detail (step by step) your process using my setup? My father is coming in two weeks, I would like to serve him my Dead Guy clone.

Sure...

- I purge my Corny with CO2, bleed it off and open the top.
- Siphon into the keg
- Cover and purge again with 10psi CO2 (to get rid of O2)
- Crank the pressure to 30 PSI and pressurize the keg.
- Leave it attached to the pressure and shake it vigorously (or roll it). You'll hear more CO2 go into the keg (you'll know the sound)
- Rinse and repeat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Determine the correct CO2 pressure to achieve the correct volume of CO2 for the style beer at the serving temperature. I use Beersmith (awesome software) and it has a nifty tool built in to tell me the pressure to set.
- Set the CO2 pressure to that required pressure and connect to the Corny. Keep it connected and store at that serving temperature (that's if you have a kegerator or converted fridge).
- Let it sit at the correct temperature and pressure until you intend to serve.
- Just before serving (talking about 5 minutes before), reduce the CO2 pressure down and slowly bleed most of the pressure off the Corny. You want the beer to slowly come out the tap so it doesn't foam excessively but fast enough to produce the desired head. This step is a technique item that you'll have to fiddle with to get it right... Darn the luck, you'll have to drink some sooner that your dad's arrival!

What about feeding the CO2 through the dispensing line to push the gas through the beer. I have seen several posts here and elsewhere that suggest this "helps" the process.

Any thoughts?

Don't bother, either way the co2 will quickly get to the headspace. Bubbling up thru (for 1 second) will not have much of an effect.

Plus the bother to change the connectors from gas to beer would be a pain in the rear.

Yep, keg it, bleed it and crank it up to 30 psi. Shake it, shake it and shake it. Turn it down to ~12psi and keep shaking it from time to time for a day or two, you'll know its carbed when the gas stops filling when you shake it. Over pressurizing it initially gets you a jump on the carbonation process, but if you keep it high too long or shake too much you run the risk of forcing too much co2 into solution. From there on out, as long as you are at serving pressure you shouldn't over carb. I drink well carbonated beer in as little as 2 days this way.

Back