Kegging Wine Nitrogen V Beer Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking of kegging my wine. A lot of threads I've read here say Nitrogen or Argon are best things to use, because CO2 will carbonate your wine. It totally makes to sense to me and I was about to buy a Nitrogen tank.

Then I found this article:

http://www.micromatic.com/Article-Sankey_Brings_Back_Wine_On_Tap-aid-433.html

I'll paraphrase it. Micromatic, who I've always considered smart and reliable, suggests that Beer Gas is the gas of choice, because all wine has some CO2 in it, and it's absence makes the wine taste wrong.

I realize the PSI is low, so I can imagine the carbonation being low- maybe not even noticeable. I'm curious what more experienced wine guys think.

If I use Beer Gas, I could also use it for Stouts. If I run Nitrogen only, it has no other use. Any advice or thoughts on the linked article are appreciated.

I know a local winery that uses argon to top off its secondary fermenters before bottling, I am assuming they transfer from primary to the secondary while the wine is still fermenting and then add the argon so when it stops the co2 gas cant escape...I think as long as you could do something like this with your keg you would be fine. I was never aware that c02 actually causes wine to taste better until I read this article...I always thought it was just good to have a little to prevent oxidation.

Back