Kegging Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimfire

Reaction score
Corny kegged a wit bier, 10 days primary, 10 days secondary (as opposed to 14/14 for my amber ale). Did not get much head after 10-14 days force carbing (compared to my amber ale). Do you not get that head kegging vs. bottling a wheat? How do I improve the head and body/texture when kegging?

I'm very new with brewing but 20 days of fermentation seems extremely short. Is there a reason you moved out of the primary after only 10 days? I know my method may be a bit overkill but I like to leave it in the primary for a month, bottle it and then maybe same one or two but leave the rest for at LEAST another month before enjoying.

what was your recipe? head, body and texture are a product of the recipe and not accomplished through kegging.

What psi did you force-carb at? Serving pressure?

I'm very new with brewing but 20 days of fermentation seems extremely short. Is there a reason you moved out of the primary after only 10 days? I know my method may be a bit overkill but I like to leave it in the primary for a month, bottle it and then maybe same one or two but leave the rest for at LEAST another month before enjoying.

I read that many use the 1-2-3 method as standard (1 week primary, 2 week secondary, 3 week bottle condition). I have also read that wheat beers don't improve with age, are intended to be consumed fresh. Some skip the secondary step altogether.

what was your recipe? head, body and texture are a product of the recipe and not accomplished through kegging.

What psi did you force-carb at? Serving pressure?

6 lbs canadian wheat extract
1 lb corn sugar
0.25 lbs carfoam malt
1 oz Golding
0.5 oz Saaz
0.75 oz Ground Coriander
0.25 oz Sweet Orange Peel
Belgian Wit Ale Yeast (liquid)
Force Carbed 5-10 days at 12 psi (rolled the kegs gently a few times)
Served at 12 psi about 38 degress
Definately improved in the keg with age, but still not much in the way of a creamy head - or head at all (1/2 inch from a direct pour that quickly dissipates)
My amber ale has a nice stable head using the same psi, etc.

Some skip the secondary step altogether.

Yea I've seen that across the board. I've never used a secondary and don't plan on it.

I figure after hearing/reading everyones advice saying relax and everything works out over time, as long as you're a patient person, leaving it in the primary longer will only make the beer better.

Month in the primary and a month in the bottle works for me. I just had a bottle of a Nut Brown Ale I brewed back in March and holy lord it was delicious!

Back