Kegging Set & Sit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balysomi

Reaction score
After doing some research, the set and sit method of force carbonation seems to be the recommended approach. Seems pretty straight forward. Basically, set the carbonation psi at just above serving pressure and let it go for a week or so.

The basic question I have that doesn't seem to be addressed in videos, reading, etc is once the keg is pressurized, do you turn off and remove the CO2 line or do you leave it on and attached?

thanks!

If you're going to dispense the keg you'll need the CO2 connected. If you've carbed up a keg and want to set it aside you can disconnect the gas and treat the keg as a great big bottle of beer.

As for "serving pressure", it should be set to maintain the desired level of carbonation given the beer temperature, and the dispensing system should be tuned to handle that pressure. So if you carbonate at 40°F to 2.5 volumes of CO2 using 12 psi and dispense at the same temperature, the "serving pressure" should be 12 psi as well. If one has to lower the pressure to dispense the beer properly there's something wrong with the dispensing system...

Cheers!

As for "serving pressure", it should be set to maintain the desired level of carbonation given the beer temperature, and the dispensing system should be tuned to handle that pressure. So if you carbonate at 40°F to 2.5 volumes of CO2 using 12 psi and dispense at the same temperature, the "serving pressure" should be 12 psi as well. If one has to lower the pressure to dispense the beer properly there's something wrong with the dispensing system...

Cheers!

Could you please elaborate? I usually force carb at around 30lbs at around 35* for about 2 days. I then turn off the gas, release any pressure from keg through prv and the put the pressure back up to around 11/12 lbs and serve. Is there something wrong with this method?

Could you please elaborate? I usually force carb at around 30lbs at around 35* for about 2 days. I then turn off the gas, release any pressure from keg through prv and the put the pressure back up to around 11/12 lbs and serve. Is there something wrong with this method?
Nope...THats how its done.
I've stepped it up to 40 psi for around 18 hours. Works great. Drinking the next day. I see know reason to go the set and forget method and wait a week or longer...seems almost silly. Not to mention hoppy beers always seem to taste better fresher...so why wait.

The OP is talking of the set and forget method. Where you do not force carbonate over a short period of time.

I just attach the gas line at serving pressure and wait a week or so. You can then, when carbonated, remove the gas line to store the keg. Or, you can start drinking the beer.

Hoppy beers would benefit from getting to them quicker. The average beer, IMO, tastes better with the set and forget method. There is something harsh in the first few days of a 30 psi force carbonated keg, to my taste. So getting to the balanced taste takes about the same amount of time.

30 - 40 psi burst carbonate if your pipeline is low. Set and forget if you have plenty of beer on hand.

So you leave the co2 attached during the maturation period?
Yes, otherwise your beer will be undercarbed.

When you put 10psi on the keg it takes a week for the co2 to reach equilibrium. In other words, while the keg is carbing, more and more co2 is being absorbed by your beer.

So you leave the co2 attached during the maturation period?
Once you connect a keg you never disconnect it till its kicked...try not to move it after its carbed and your drinking it. Its stirs up the crud in the bottom and gets sucked into the pint. You nice clear beer will get hazy..that includes even "adjusting " the keg

Back