Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsewall

Reaction score
I just started kegging my homebrew over the weekend, Friday afternoon. All went well I force carbonated the beer and been dispensing all weekend. I keep my C02 tank in the keggerator. I had a full tank Friday evening and in 4 days it seems almost empty. I have checked all the connection submerged the tank in the tub and I can't find a leak anywhere. Please help!

I just started kegging my homebrew over the weekend, Friday afternoon. All went well I force carbonated the beer and been dispensing all weekend. I keep my C02 tank in the keggerator. I had a full tank Friday evening and in 4 days it seems almost empty. I have checked all the connection submerged the tank in the tub and I can't find a leak anywhere. Please help!

Use a squirt bottle with foamy liquid and spray it on every connection. Do it both with the hoses attached to the kegs and also with the hoses removed. Look for small bubbles that grow.

When you say it's almost empty, is that from reading the gauge - which is almost useless - or from not being able to dispense any more beer?

The high pressure gauge is between 0-500 but the tank feel pretty light.

I sprayed every connection with Star San from a bottle, I also placed the grey quick connect in a glass of water and it was fine.

I'm pretty sure I did, I closed it a little after I thought it was leaking thinking being open to much made it leak. I will open it all the way back up again.

I was missing a flare washer when I hooked up for the first time. That's where my leak was. Make sure you have everything hooked up correctly.

Reportedly, it should only take (at the most) 1/2 pound of CO2 to force carb your beer to normal levels. A 5lb CO2 tank should last quite some time even while force carbing.

I bought a used keg (with no regrets) and one of the O rings on the inputs/outputs was my culprit. Don't be lazy and replace all the O rings, especially since a used one does/should be sold with replacements. My leak was very small and had I not replaced everything, I would have never found it. Good Luck,

I totally submerged the tank in the bath while it was pressurized and I didn't get any bubbles

The gauge will drop just from putting it inside the fridge. The gauge is based on pressure, and cooler temps equal lower pressure. Not saying you still don't have a leak...

How did you buy the keg and regulator and CO2 tank? Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? If so ask them for assistance, they pre-assembled it. Did you assemble the hoses? Is there only one keg attached to the regulator or multiple? Basically check everything. Are the O rings fresh, are the tubes clamped good to the metal parts, are all the screw attachments solid? You aren't looking for a big leak. Mine was very small and I'm pretty certain spraying water on it would not have found it. I definitely would not have heard a hiss.
Good luck

I also left the c02 on, it is not necessary to turn it off once its connected correct?

Back