Kegging / Picnic tap drama...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmccauli

Reaction score
So, my first all-grain adventure coincided with my first kegging system. Nothing special about it, 5 gal corny, CO2 tank & regulator, and picnic tap.

Problem: I can set the PSI to 5, 10, 15, 20, whatever....I go to tank a draw off it and it comes out like its under 100 PSI. I release the handle and it continues to keep pouring. If its at 10 psi or less it continues to pour beer (at a reduced rate) after release. If its at what Beersmith says I need (17 PSI) it shoots out a jet of foam. When I was testing different PSI levels I would bleed off all CO2 if the last level tested was above what I wanted to test it at now. It did sit at 35 PSI overnight, but I bled that off as well.

Any help would be appreciated...very frustrated...

I'm confused, what temp is the keg at? At what PSI did you carb the keg and for how long? Also, how long is your liquid hose that your picnic tap is attached to. I fill my kegs, set them at around 10-13 psi and let them in the fridge for about 3 weeks. I then keep them at that pressure to serve but had to get a longer beer line (about 12') to do that. I think you rush carbed these and are suffering the consequences...lower the psi and bleed off the excess pressure and give it some time to re-equilibrate.

I'm confused, what temp is the keg at? At what PSI did you carb the keg and for how long? Also, how long is your liquid hose that your picnic tap is attached to. I fill my kegs, set them at around 10-13 psi and let them in the fridge for about 3 weeks. I then keep them at that pressure to serve but had to get a longer beer line (about 12') to do that. I think you rush carbed these and are suffering the consequences...lower the psi and bleed off the excess pressure and give it some time to re-equilibrate.

I have my keezer set at ~50 degrees. Its usually around 51 or 52, that's the dead space for my dual stage controller. It was at 35 PSI for about 12 hours, that's all. I'll lower to what you're saying and keep bleeding pressure. Thing is, its only been on CO2 for that 12 hours. I'll try lower pressure though and see what happens. And, yes, I know I should be keeping my hands off it for awhile, but its my first AG and I'm anxious...lol.

The hose is what they gave me at my LHBS, I can't imagine its much over 4 feet if it is actually over that.

Lower regulator to 2-3 psi and bleed off any excess pressure to the keg and try again. Did they give you 1/4 or 3/16 beer line...you want 5' min 3/16...6-8' beer line might be better yet, some use up to 10' of 3/16"

Latest posts

Back