Kegging Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
So a few days ago I went to rack my holiday ale into the keg. About 2/3 through the transfer a piece of orange peel decided to become lodged in the bent section of the racking crane. This of course happened while I was holding the autosiphon with one hand and tilting the carboy with the other. Well, I had to switch racking cranes as the previous one was jammed. While doing so I mixed the beer and yeast cake together. I continued to transfer the beer anyways. Well, last night I decided to check on the carbonation and pulled about 1/2 gallon out and it was awful looking. Any suggestions on how to get this to clear out. I have gelatin and islinglass but havent used either before. Should I just give it a few weeks to settle and compact? Help would be appreciated as I plan to serve this to the family during our xmas party. Thanks!

If the beer was very clear in the carboy is there any reason it wouldnt clear in the keg?

I figured time is my biggest ally in this situation. I hate wasting beer. I will just give it a few weeks to settle & compact and hopefully the "junk" will get blown out with the 1st couple pints.

+1 That extra yeast will settle out and the first couple of pints you pull will either get dumped or be a yeast milkshake for you to enjoy. :) Its how I clear all my beers and I'm amazed at how clear they will get after a couple of weeks.

Back