Kegging for long term storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan65

Reaction score
Im probably stepping too far into uncharted territority for me, but I was wondering if it is easily possible to age beer in a corny keg(no co2 can). I plan on getting into kegging within a year so I bought some pinlock kegs. I thought that maybe i can fill them up to age and eventually be able to tap into them.

Could I brew an imperial stout and bulk age it in the keg. I would not have any co2 container to carb it, but could I use a small amount of sugar to prime it so it carbs up just enough to seal up the keg?

I cannot see why you couldn't do it, I think it is a good idea actually.

The first few pulls from the keg are going to be trub, unless you transfer the beer into another keg for serving or you cut you dipstick.

Im probably stepping too far into uncharted territority for me, but I was wondering if it is easily possible to age beer in a corny keg(no co2 can). I plan on getting into kegging within a year so I bought some pinlock kegs. I thought that maybe i can fill them up to age and eventually be able to tap into them.

Could I brew an imperial stout and bulk age it in the keg. I would not have any co2 container to carb it, but could I use a small amount of sugar to prime it so it carbs up just enough to seal up the keg?

As long as the keg is clean and sanitized, there's nothing out of the ordinary in doing that.

However, it often is necessary to give a keg a shot of higher pressure CO2 in order to get the lid to seal correctly. Priming sugar will produce CO2 gradually, which may or may not (I'd guess not) seal the lid, assuming it needs to be sealed.

I kegged a brew last night and gave it a shot of 12 psi CO2 and that was sufficient to seal the lid. I always spray around the lid w/ Star-San and look for bubbles.

Something that may help you if you do this is to make sure you use Keg Lube on the lid gasket, and put small metal disks (penny or a dime may work) under the plastic feet on the bale, to provide a bit more upward pressure on the lid.

Back