Kegging commercial kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the issue is getting one. If you grab one and don't return it, that is stealing (regardless of deposit).

If you DO get one (and I'm sure it's possible), I think you can use it. You just have to disassemble the dip tube from the body. You will also have to get the hookup (its called a D-something, I think).

I have three... I just can't find step by step instructions and I feel like it will be hard to clean

Hmm. I thought the dip tubes came out. Not sure, I guess. Never done it and its been a while since I looked at one.

How do you pressurize? You may have to get a setup like a bar has so you can pressurize and serve via a single connection. (I use corny kegs and there are two connections.)

I would think it would be faster to disassemble and clean, sanitize, fill, reassemble, purge and carbonate.

I keg in 1/4 barrel kegs. If they are just standard Sanke kegs, you need to remove the spiral ring and then twist the spear to release it (please release the pressure in side by pushing down on the ball before you remove the spear). After that you just clean sanitize and rack your beer into the keg. Reassemble.

...getting it back together again is a little harder, but I just put the spiral ring back in one turn until it becomes difficult and then us a pair of pliers to cram the second ring back in a little at a time.

I believe that's sarcasm.

I have a few sanke's that were basically given away from the New Belgium Brewery that I would love to use for dispensing. Getting the ring off seems a bit messy but I did see online someone basically augmented a snake coupler to use to fill the keg but it might be worth it just to remove the spear and everything to make it easier to clean.

Here is a link to disassembly and reassembly of a sanke keg. Note: make sure to purge all CO2 from the keg first.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPfZ_AL380[/ame]

Back