Kegging cider...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrawkgeek

Reaction score
So I have three gallons of cider, which is done and nicely aged. I was planning on kegging it up, but I've never Kegged a cider before. Any suggestions on how I'd go about doing so?
Thanks!

Keg it like you would keg a beer...

I sanitize the keg, purge it with co2, rack beer or cider into the keg, purge head space after you seal it up, carb it with co2, serve.

You can also top it up with apple juice concentrate or honey (which is what I did two days ago). If you keep it cold, it shouldn't start refermenting. That's why I love kegged cider - it's so easy to make it sweet and carbonated.

I learned the hard way that you can't just dump it into the keg (It sits at the bottom and clogs the dip tube.)

I just dissolve it in a pint or 20 oz of juice. It helps to warm the juice and honey up in a saucepan on the stove.

I don't get fussy at all with the stabilizing/filtering/etc. when I'm kegging. If the temp in the keg fridge stays below 40, fermentation doesn't kick back up.

I'm not worried about further fermentation, etc. but I have no room for keg in fridg, etc. right now...If I leaave the keg at room temp and put the CO2 on it @ 13-15lbs, about how long will it take to carb up?

I'm not worried about further fermentation, etc. but I have no room for keg in fridg, etc. right now...If I leaave the keg at room temp and put the CO2 on it @ 13-15lbs, about how long will it take to carb up?

At room temperature, it will never carb up at 13 psi.

Here is a chart to help you set the pressure: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

For example, if your room temperature is 65 degrees, set the regulator at 29 psi and it will be at about a volume of 2.52. It will take about 10-14 days or so. Or you could prime it with sugar and it will be carbed up in 10-14 days or so.

I am learning how to keg cider as well. I am planning on opening a Cidery house with 3 different ciders on tap. I'm guessing it would be good to have a small walk-in-cooler to store back up kegs.

Could anyone direct me to a simple setup or a distributor for a small 5 bbl system

Dean

Latest posts

Back