Kegging/Carbing at Room Temp Then Moving to Colder Area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teesquar

Reaction score
What happens if I keg/carb at 65 degrees for 3 or 4 weeks, but then move the keg (a shorty 2.5 gallon) up to my refrigerator (temp in the 30s). Will it then be overcarbed?

Was going to carb at 25 psi at 65 degrees to get around 2.3 vols

Should be fine. I'd disconnect the gas when you move it to the serving temp and leave it off while it gets down to temp. Shouldn't matter, really, just what I'd do.

Of course, you'll need to know what temp the beer will be at serving and adjust the head pressure to that when you reconnect.

I haven't done this for beers carbed to typical 2.something, but I do it for beers that will go on nitro, as it's easy to carb to 1.low at room temp.

According to our favorite carbonation table 25 psi at 65°F will eventually reach 2.28 volumes of CO2.

Once the beer is carbed and you disconnect the gas to a tight keg, the beer will forever remain at the same carbonation level, regardless of temperature.

And when you put it back on gas to dispense, you'll want to set the pressure to maintain the same level of carbonation at the colder temperature, using the same chart...

Cheers!

Back