Kegging and storing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
With my new found supply of corny kegs, thanks to BBeerme, I started to wonder. I usually do IPA's and Ales mostly with an occasional wheat thrown in. If I were to keg these styles and add some pressure, maybe 5 to 10 psi, how long could they be stored in say a closet at about 65 to 70 degrees? Would storing colder be better? I am going to do some internet research but was thinking about it while trying to stay awake at work. Just looking for some info, if it needs to be moved to another forum please do so. Rock On!!!!!!!

I currently have a keg of cider @ approx. 28PSI and two kegs of stout at about 26PSI sitting in my 68° basement waiting to be rotated into my kegerator...it's my ususal practice. At 5PSI, if you don't connect the gas immediately when you start to chill it, you may end up with a vacuum before you reach serving temp and then you'll still have to wait through carbonation. Just use the popular carb-chart diagonally and set your pressure to your desired carbonation level at the temp of your closet...it may well be fully carbonated by the time you chill it.
:mug:

I agree with @AlexKay.

Some local bottle shops have vast selections that exceed the capacity of their cold storage. Except for super strong beers that are thought to benefit from aging, I steer clear of the room temp shelves. Along the same lines I consider warm storage of most beer to be a compromise.

I sometimes miss the consistently 60°F basement cool room of my previous home, but the move to a one level home pushed me into kegging, which had been a good thing.

Picking a kegged beer style out of your closet storage has a nice feeling about it, but keeping them cold is much more ideal and safer. Kegged beer could start fermenting again at those warmer temps.

As a practice I keep all kegged beer in my serving fridge. At some point I'll have extra cold storage (another fridge). In the winter months I can safely "store" filled kegs in a couple spots int the basement.

From another post you mentioned build a serving bar with an insulted cold box, perhaps build it so you can keep a keg or two in "storage".

Picking a kegged beer style out of your closet storage has a nice feeling about it, but keeping them cold is much more ideal and safer. Kegged beer could start fermenting again at those warmer temps.

As a practice I keep all kegged beer in my serving fridge. At some point I'll have extra cold storage (another fridge). In the winter months I can safely "store" filled kegs in a couple spots int the basement.

From another post you mentioned build a serving bar with an insulted cold box, perhaps build it so you can keep a keg or two in "storage".
That was my idea. 2 or 3 serving and 2 or 3 at the ready. Wife is giving me pushback on it, so it may be back to one at a time. I now own 11 cornies and was thinking it would be cool to put together a 2 or 3 tap setup for folks who come over, but then realized nobody comes over so no need. LOL

Before the plague I had folks over alot. I also had five different beers on tap. Now I find three taps are enough and less people coming over. Having one beer might be a little tough, even with just you and your wife. If possible plan for more cold kegs. By the way, I have twenty kegs, mostly five gallon but three 2.5 gallon, one ten gallons and a single one gallon keg. I took three of the five gallon kegs to keep water in case the power goes out. Came in handy last year when our power was out for almost five days.

With all respect to the fact that Universals tend to exist soley in science and rarely in Life, I'm nonetheless inclined to say; If you're not making a brew that your wife is totally ga-ga for, you're doing it Wrong... A four-tap kegerator in my kitchen wasn't merely 'allowed' by my girlfriend, but supported and encouraged because one tap always has cider and the next always has 'her beer' in it. The occasional cider and 2 taps to my taste is perfectly adequate for me. The main selling point was when she fell in love with one specific recipe I like... the provision of cider was icing on her cake.
But yeah, keep it cold. If you haven't looked over this post Home Brew Shelf Life in #16 @BrewnWKopperKat provided some very good info.
The longest storage time for a keg I've had @ 68° was just under 3 weeks... it was a 'Winter Ale' and while it didn't taste 'off', it was noticably 'less fresh' than the previous keg.

Yes, some brews can sit longer not in cold storage. As a rule of thumb in my brewery, high ABV brews and those with darker grains can sit out long. Delicate brews, like a wheat should be carbonated and on tap soon.

On the subject of tap choices, wine, cider, water or whatever can be served as well.

If I were to keg these styles and add some pressure, maybe 5 to 10 psi,
If you keep the CO2 connected, and turned on, storing at 5 - 10 psi is acceptable (but you do have to worry about faster degradation if stored warm, as many previous posters mentioned.) But, if you just give it a burst of CO2, and then disconnect, or turn off the CO2 supply, then most of the CO2 you pushed into the headspace will be absorbed into the beer, the pressure will drop, and the lids might start leaking without pressure to compress the "O" ring (some kegs will stay sealed fine without pressure, but many won't.)

You also need to make sure the air is purged out of the headspace. There are many ways to do this that are discussed endlessly on HBT, but if you need help, just ask.

Brew on :mug:

With all respect to the fact that Universals tend to exist soley in science and rarely in Life, I'm nonetheless inclined to say; If you're not making a brew that your wife is totally ga-ga for, you're doing it Wrong... A four-tap kegerator in my kitchen wasn't merely 'allowed' by my girlfriend, but supported and encouraged because one tap always has cider and the next always has 'her beer' in it. The occasional cider and 2 taps to my taste is perfectly adequate for me. The main selling point was when she fell in love with one specific recipe I like... the provision of cider was icing on her cake.
But yeah, keep it cold. If you haven't looked over this post Home Brew Shelf Life in #16 @BrewnWKopperKat provided some very good info.
The longest storage time for a keg I've had @ 68° was just under 3 weeks... it was a 'Winter Ale' and while it didn't taste 'off', it was noticably 'less fresh' than the previous keg.
First off, with all due respect, you don't know my wife, so please don't assume. She is not a drinker and has no interest in any of this at all. She only buys into it because it keeps me busy and something I enjoy. So, once again, with all due respect, please don't assume. If she had a "beer" she enjoyed you damn right I would have it available, but she hates beer as much as she hates wine and anything else alcohol related, so I appreciate your input, but that part of it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. If your girlfriend enjoys what you brew, awesome. I sure do with my wife and my two adult kids also enjoyed it, but they don't and that's ok.

As far as the rest of your post, I appreciate you taking the time to have some input, so I thank you for that. As of right now, one tap is all I have and probably all I will end up with for the foreseeable future. But I can dream. LOL.

My condolences.

I guess I'm pretty lucky - my wife likes every beer I've ever made. And while that's saying something, it's probably a lot easier than liking me.
It's actually ok, she is the designated driver for most family affairs we go to, so that is not a bad thing either. Rock On!!!!!!!

It's actually ok, she is the designated driver for most family affairs we go to, so that is not a bad thing either. Rock On!!!!!!!
That’s not such a bad deal! When I started kegging I was surprised to learn that I could pretty easily keep seltzer on tap for the GF and even make ginger ale and some other kinds of flavored drinks. It seemed like it might be a pretty good way to help justify more taps! As it turned out, I never had to make that argument but I might make the ginger ale recipe anyway just for fun. 🍻

First off, with all due respect, you don't know my wife, so please don't assume. She is not a drinker and has no interest in any of this at all. She only buys into it because it keeps me busy and something I enjoy. So, once again, with all due respect, please don't assume. If she had a "beer" she enjoyed you damn right I would have it available, but she hates beer as much as she hates wine and anything else alcohol related, so I appreciate your input, but that part of it kinda rubbed me the wrong way. If your girlfriend enjoys what you brew, awesome. I sure do with my wife and my two adult kids also enjoyed it, but they don't and that's ok.

As far as the rest of your post, I appreciate you taking the time to have some input, so I thank you for that. As of right now, one tap is all I have and probably all I will end up with for the foreseeable future. But I can dream. LOL.
Sorry about that... my assumptions always end with my foot in my mouth...(A personal Universal)
I have been wondering though; What's on the other side of the wall where you want to put this unit? Is a fridge or chest freezer with a trunk line running through to a counter-top tower an option?

Sprecher root beer is VERY good! I also use the extract, four ounces mixed with sugar and water. Note though, they need to be carbonated. You could also serve from smaller kegs. I use 2.5 gallon kegs for soda.

Sorry about that... my assumptions always end with my foot in my mouth...(A personal Universal)
I have been wondering though; What's on the other side of the wall where you want to put this unit? Is a fridge or chest freezer with a trunk line running through to a counter-top tower an option?
No worries. Please chalk off my response as having a bad day. Wife was on me about something, and I think I may have responded a bit harshly. I also had a few in me I am sure. I appreciate your response and input.

To answer your question, no. More or less my idea is a free standing bar style countertop in a corner of the room that is used for nothing. LOL. It is an exterior wall and a shared will with the kitchen/her office. My newest idea is a base bathroom cabinet. They stand a bit taller, I can get one that will fit in the space with casters to move it so it is not in the way. I can put a top on it that either matches the kitchen or something that my wife agrees to. I have a tower with a three tap setup that I got for nothing and I have 11 kegs to work with. My thought, now that I have gotten some great responses, is an IPA, either a Pale Ale or wheat or whatever suites me, and then maybe either root beer or something non alcoholic for the sober members of the family. LOL. Either way, it is still a very big IF as I need to recoup some of my losses for a new roof that I just had to put on.

Either way, please accept my apology for my snide ass comment, it was a rough night and I was probably not sober at the time. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Friend! (I hope we're still friends!).. You have zero to apologize for... I used the inflammatory words; "You're doing it wrong" I found your response to be well worded and far nicer than I deserved for using words that should only ever be said to someone you actually see using a rock to hammer a machine-screw into a plaster wall to hang a picture. ...a much kinder response than me and @bracconiere gave to the guy who told us all we were making our beer wrong..(If you want a chuckle, just search "this site is dumb"..the edited title with a mostly deleted 'you're all doing it wrong" comment.)

Is the bathroom cabinet you're thinking of one that comes built with casters? I've seen a lot of nice looking bathroom vanity units, but my first thought is that they're made to be fixed and braced in place and lack the sturdiness to withstand being pushed around, loaded, on casters. Are you equipped to build one from scratch?
...damn, now I want a root-beer. ;)

So now we're cutting holes in walls, are we? See previous comment re: project creep. 🤔
fair point... I guess I dream too vicariously through others on here. Even though my GF's very supportive, she does have her lines in the sand; My first choice for the kegerator in the kitchen was to rip out and toss out the in-counter dishwasher and put it in there...that was a total non-starter with a touch of lingering anger. :p

Doesn't sound like you have much room.Before I installed my coldbox I used True commercial 2 door cooler. It stored at least 10 kegs. Don't worry any more now. Used coldbox half is cold the other half is for barrel storage. I have a black oak slab I want to use for the drip tray

Attachments

• Cold box.jpg
    Cold box.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
fair point... I guess I dream too vicariously through others on here. Even though my GF's very supportive, she does have her lines in the sand; My first choice for the kegerator in the kitchen was to rip out and toss out the in-counter dishwasher and put it in there...that was a total non-starter with a touch of lingering anger. :p
OK, now that's funny. I thought the same thing. Even mentioned to her, hell your grandmother used to wash dishes by hand, why can't you? LOL. That little comment cost me a weekend at some stupid spa place in Napa. The only positive to it, was I sat by the pool, read a book and drank beer most of the weekend So win/win I guess. LOL.

Doesn't sound like you have much room.Before I installed my coldbox I used True commercial 2 door cooler. It stored at least 10 kegs. Don't worry any more now. Used coldbox half is cold the other half is for barrel storage. I have a black oak slab I want to use for the drip tray
Now, that could be the endgame when I finally retire and get the hell out of California. LOL. If it is in the garage or shop, then add a tv, stove or microwave and a bed and I don't every have to come inside. LOL. That looks really good.

Sprecher makes an excellent root beer concentrate: Root Beer Extract | Sprecher Brewing Company

My local home brew shop often carries it. 1 gallon of concentrate makes 5 gallons of rootbeer, perfect for serving out of a corney keg.

They make other flavors as well.
That could certainly work and is much less expensive than buying the ingredients. Those roots they use are damn expensive. lol Thanks, that could be the bridge I am looking for.

Friend! (I hope we're still friends!).. You have zero to apologize for... I used the inflammatory words; "You're doing it wrong" I found your response to be well worded and far nicer than I deserved for using words that should only ever be said to someone you actually see using a rock to hammer a machine-screw into a plaster wall to hang a picture. ...a much kinder response than me and @bracconiere gave to the guy who told us all we were making our beer wrong..(If you want a chuckle, just search "this site is dumb"..the edited title with a mostly deleted 'you're all doing it wrong" comment.)

Is the bathroom cabinet you're thinking of one that comes built with casters? I've seen a lot of nice looking bathroom vanity units, but my first thought is that they're made to be fixed and braced in place and lack the sturdiness to withstand being pushed around, loaded, on casters. Are you equipped to build one from scratch?
...damn, now I want a root-beer. ;)
You mean the rock and machine screw is not the right way to do it? Damn!!!! LOL. Hey man, no worries. All good in my hood. You had a valid point, and if my wife liked anything I brewed I would be all over it. I thought about a stout or something more coffee flavored, as she likes cold coffee, but then thought, naw, it will still taste like beer. LOL. The root beer idea sounds promising. I mentioned it to her and she was like "ok, Root beer I can see liking" So that might be a try in a smaller batch at first.

As far as your question goes, I think you may be right. Those types of cabinets are usually made to fix to the wall and not very sturdy for two or three filled kegs, a cooling unit (my kegerator) and assorted other crap that I would put in it. Am I equipped? Not sure, I have the basic hand tools and have done some weekend warrior stuff, so willing to give it a go. My thought is, a 2x4 frame, wrap it in plywood, then either use a nice plank style wood, or foam and a wrap it with fabric. Then, either a plywood top with laminate on top or a predone counter. Still just a pipe dream in my head, but hell, I gotta keep busy some how.

Anyway, all good man. If you are ever in San Francisco, look me up. I am always up for a beer or three. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!

Nice outbuilding!!!! Was my 'retirement dream' till I was injured. Thanks for the vicarious accomplishment! ...could well be aspirational to the young 'uns on here. ;) :bigmug:

I have the basic hand tools and have done some weekend warrior stuff, so willing to give it a go. My thought is, a 2x4 frame, wrap it in plywood, then either use a nice plank style wood, or foam and a wrap it with fabric. Then, either a plywood top with laminate on top or a predone counter. Still just a pipe dream in my head, but hell, I gotta keep busy some how.
That definitely sounds like a good starting point... Maybe a hand made base unit with something conceptually like @WortMonger did here; Chillzer ...?

I'm kinda in the same boat. I want to brew faster than I drink and I don't have enough people around who want to drink pint after pint of the 5% beers I put on tap. I wouldn't want to brew several kegs of hoppy beers and leave them to languish, especially at warmer temperatures. You probably want to enjoy your hard work more than drinking your beers past their prime. Better to brew those beers as close to kicking a keg as possible. I would be less concerned about a bigger beer or a less hop-forward beer hanging around at room temperature if you want to keep a keg on hand in case you have a gap in your pipeline. Learning how to manage your pipeline is part of the "fun" of a keg system.

That definitely sounds like a good starting point... Maybe a hand made base unit with something conceptually like @WortMonger did here; Chillzer ...?
That is kinda what I was thinking. Then I don't have to worry about the fridge needing to be vented. I was thinking something like a small AC unit in the box and then insulate it all and add a small door to slip the kegs in and out of. Still in the process, I almost have my wife bought in. LOL

OK, now that's funny. I thought the same thing. Even mentioned to her, hell your grandmother used to wash dishes by hand, why can't you? LOL. That little comment cost me a weekend at some stupid spa place in Napa. The only positive to it, was I sat by the pool, read a book and drank beer most of the weekend So win/win I guess. LOL.
My wife and I greeted a couple at church one morning, and I asked how things were going. The husband said the weekend had been tough as his dishwasher needed replacing. I glanced at my wife, (who’s a very good sport), and said “Well, I have had the same one for 36 years, and she’s still doing a great job!” The other gal’s mouth dropped open, then she asked my wife, “Are you going to hit him, or can I do it for you?” 😂😂🤣

You guys are making me laugh and that's a good thing. As for the non drinkers you can go to Apex Flavors and make as many flavored non alcoholic drinks as you would want. flavored seltzers are really easy also, some good water, the flavor you want and sugar or no. Super easy and tasty. I have used the Black Spruce and the Valencia Orange for water and sodas. Good luck. :mug:

Edit: Also it can be fun to do some of these things from scratch. I sometimes make a ginger beer that has a bite like nothing you can buy at the store.

Back