kegged without CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
I kegged a batch last night and went to hook up CO2 but accidently forgot to open the valve. This morning I realized my mistake and opened the valve. I purged the air a few times and jacked the pressure up to 28psi. My question is what affect if any did the 15-20 hours of sitting in the keg with no pressure have on my beer? Should all be ok or may I have screwed this batch up?

Thanks.

did you purge the oxygen first? I'd say if not, your biggest risk is that your beer may have gotten oxygenated. If it tastes fine, you shouldn't have a problem.

I cannot remember. If it is oxygenated how will I know and what flavors will it have?

Don't sweat it. It will be fine. A fermented beer has a certain amount of CO2 in solution just from the initial fermentation--unless it sat for several months. This is why you degass your sample for measuring final gravity. This is also why wines are degassed. When you rack some will usually come out of solution and sit on top of the beer, pushing up the oxygen. Purging is helpful, but is most helpful as protection in case of splashing during the transfer. If it got oxygenated then you splashed the beer going in. It wouldn't be from forgetting to turn on the gas for a few hours.

Latest posts

Back