Kegged too many gallons - no room in kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwestbiker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a question,

Beer consumption has not matched production and I now have two full kegs in the kegerator and third one I kegged Sunday is not in cold storage (due to lack of space in kegerator or refrigerator). I do not do any priming sugar when I keg - CO2 is the carbonation conditioning method I prefer.

For the one not in the kegerator, I did put 30 psi of CO2 (quick burst) to seal the keg and to take out any oxygen. CO2 is not still hooked up.

So can I just leave it in the basement (temp is 65 -70) and if so, is there a finite time which it will remain good? I can put it out in the garage - not heated - but the temperature will fluxuate witht the climate. Temp range would be 45 degrees to 0 is a safe bet. Would that hurt it?

Would hate to end up screwing up this keg as it seems like it will be great when carbonated.

Thoughts?

Just leave it in the basement. I have 10 kegs, but only 3 taps, so I have kegs full of beer sitting in the basement for months at a time before they finally get tapped.

I always try to have 2-3 kegs on deck. they sit beside my keezer in the basement at 65-70...it is not an issue. I try to keep them at about 25 psi but hitting em with some gas every few days...then they are usually good to go when they go in the keezer.

If one of the two in cold storage is not tapped and is already carbed up, you may want to think about pulling it out and putting the new one in the cold storage and under pressure until it's carb'd. Reason being that the temp in the cold storage is probably more consistent than the basement and it'll be easier to calculate the CO2 pressure required to get the carb level for the beer (based on the carbonation level vs temperature vs pressure charts). Plus, it'll require a lot less pressure.

Sounds like you have more of a drinking problem than a kegging problem! Seriously though, kegs stored warm will be fine. I usually have one sitting at room temps waiting for space in my Kegerator. I even bought a second CO2 tank and keep it gassed at 30psi. Once a spot open up, I hook it up, let it cool over night and it's good to go the next day. May have to bleed off a little pressure, but it balances out quickly.

I feel better - both in kegerator are tapped - the one in the basement is patiently waiting its' time for the limelight.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I figured I'd get a lot of "I'll help you with the low consumption issue you seem to be having!".

:tank:

Back