kegged sulfurey cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EO74

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just kegged my cider and it has a sulfury smell .I cold crashed it to keep it on the sweet side .Is there any way to get rid of the smell without bringing the temp up ,as i dont want it to ferment anymore!:confused:

yes, pressurize the keg at 25psi until fully carbed (a day in the fridge or 2-3 at room temp, then let the pressure all the way out. Continue to let the pressure out every 4-8 hours until the cider is flat again and not releasing any more CO2 after the last interval (it usually takes about 24 hours for the CO2 to completely release at room temp, might be a little more or less if cold). The CO2 releasing will scrub out the stank.

Usually one cycle of this is enough, but repeat if necessary.

Cville, would that work on a bottled cider? Carb it, release the CO2, re-carb? Or would the renewed fermentation for carb #2 just throw out more sulfur?

I tried copper in an experimental that I just cracked open a sample of, and there is still the sulfur in the nose, pretty strong.

Back