Kegged root beer lines.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bren2426

Reaction score
Ok quick question. I have made a root beer and kegged it. I hooked up my pour lines and it blasts out so bad that it's just not good. I tried to research what size lines to use because of the higher co2 presence over beer and what I had came up with was about 20' of 1/4" I.D. And that is what I have and it is not working. Way to much or something. Should I go down to my beer line size or does it have to be bigger. I set at 20 psi for about a week then bled off pressure and I have tried different pressure from 2-10 to pour and it just pour way to fast. So I would like some assistance in this matter. And thanks to all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Root beer wants to be carbed to around 3.5-4 volumes, and if you held it at say 40°F you'd need nearly 30 psi to get to that level. Using 1/4" ID tubing you'd in turn need an insane length to manage that high pressure (like nearly 100'!) but if you switched to 3/16" beverage tubing, a 25' foot run would put you in the ballpark...

Cheers!

Root beer wants to be carbed to around 3.5-4 volumes, and if you held it at say 40°F you'd need nearly 30 psi to get to that level. Using 1/4" ID tubing you'd in turn need an insane length to manage that high pressure (like nearly 100'!) but if you switched to 3/16" beverage tubing, a 25' foot run would put you in the ballpark...

Cheers!

Exactly! I keg a hard Rootbeer, it's at 39oF with 3/16" line that's 25' long and served at 30psi, works perfectly

Sent from the Commune

Exactly! I keg a hard Rootbeer, it's at 39oF with 3/16" line that's 25' long and served at 30psi, works perfectly

Sent from the Commune

I needed 30' of 3/16" line at 30 psi for my system, to get good pours. I think it'd be wise to start with 25' maybe, because it might be better to be a bit too long than a bit too short for people starting out kegging soda.

Ok thanks I will try this out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back