Kegged Irish Red Went Sour. Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeuxChiens

Reaction score
So in early September I was running out of draught beer and figured it would be easy enough to brew two quick batches doing a partial mash. I went with an ESB and an Irish Red since they could be kegged from primary and would be drinkable within a few weeks of brewday.

No problems with the ESB. Great recipe from George at Home Sweet Homebrew.

For the Irish, I made an absurdly bonehead move and forgot to add a whole 4 lb can of LME to the boil. I didn't realize the gravity was so low because I had broken my hydrometer when I was brewing the ESB.....fun day....

It was 3/4 days into primary, high krausen, when I realized the mistake. I adjusted my calculator and realized my OG would be around 1.024, which was a waste IMO anyway. So I figured I'd experiment and boil the 4 lbs of LME with 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice and a little water, dump it into the primary, and let it ferment for a few weeks before touching it again.

Well it ended up fermenting out to 1.013 (bought a new hydrometer) with US04. I kegged it, and it was drinkable, but it wasn't anything I would be willing to share.

On Saturday, I tasted it right before I was going to dump it to make space for another batch. It went sour like an Oud. It actually tastes kind of good. I was reluctant to have a pint because I wasn't sure if it was safe. My assumption is that it's fine, but I honestly couldn't tell you where I contaminated the beer.

Any thoughts? Safe to drink? Anyone want to try it with me?

As I read from Papazian, and I have seen noted in many places, there are no known pathogens that can survive in beer.

Bottom line, you will live! Whether the beer is drinkable, well that's your decision.

...... What do you think traditional sour beers are? They leave the fermenters open to the wild yeasts and bacteria to ferment it. While we understand the main bacteria in traditional Lambics and Flanders, anything could be in them.

Ok, so it's safe. Maybe I'll test this one out on a few sour beer aficionados to see whether they can identify the critter tht turned it sour.....

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back