Kegged first porter today, tastes a bit like plastic. Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HObrew

Reaction score
Steeping grains
1lb Munich dark
.75lb crystal 40
.6lb chocolate malt
.4 lb roasted barley
150F for half an hour

Extract- 6.6 lbs golden light liquid malt extract

Hops 1oz goldings 60 minutes

Yeast safale us-05 rehydrated before pitching

OG 1.052 FG 1.014
Kegged day 15 (today)
Used a glass carboy
Pbw and then Star san'ed everything.

Color looks great doesn't look or smell like there's an infection.
Beer is not completely carbonated chilled as I kegged it around 12 hours ago but I wanted to try some anyway.

I'm getting a slightly off burnt plastic taste. Kinda like burnt k-cups. Is this the taste of an immature beer or am I to worry something went wrong?

Is there a chance that maybe you scorched the liquid extract? Did you turn off heat before adding/mixing the LME?

Otherwise, I'd just wait a couple weeks and see what it tastes like.

Everything checks out with your procedure except we aren't seeing any fermentation temp control. Although I'm not familiar with us-05 at high temps others have noted more of a fruity ester note than plastic/medicinal phenolic so I doubt that is your issue anyway.

You'll be pleasantly surprised how much things improve within a week in a keg.

Your grain bill isn't the simplest so depending on some other factors things can take a little time to even out. 15 days is pushing it.

Is there a chance that maybe you scorched the liquid extract? Did you turn off heat before adding/mixing the LME?

Otherwise, I'd just wait a couple weeks and see what it tastes like.

I highly doubt it. I shut off the heat and stirred in making sure to scrape the entire bottom of the pot.

Everything checks out with your procedure except we aren't seeing any fermentation temp control. Although I'm not familiar with us-05 at high temps others have noted more of a fruity ester note than plastic/medicinal phenolic so I doubt that is your issue anyway.

You'll be pleasantly surprised how much things improve within a week in a keg.

Your grain bill isn't the simplest so depending on some other factors things can take a little time to even out. 15 days is pushing it.

Average ambient temperature was 65 to 67 according to my thermostat.

I read up the chlorine can cause this and I did use tapwater but my last recipe did just fine on tap water. As does Sam Adams which is on the same city water.

I will wait and see if it evens out.
Thanks

With the amount of chocolate and roast malts in that grist I'd have thought that a slightly burnt taste would be expected and you'd need a decent amount of conditioning time for the flavours to meld and mellow. Having said that, I wouldn't expect a plasticy flavour to be present although that might just be your own, personal, perception. I suppose you never can tell when the municipal water source might have elevated levels of chlorine/chloramine so campden tabs would be a cheap and easy addition to your brewing water to eliminate that possibility in future.

I read up the chlorine can cause this and I did use tapwater but my last recipe did just fine on tap water. As does Sam Adams which is on the same city water.

This is your problem right here. Chlorophenols. You need to add 1/2 Campden tablet per 5 gallons of tap water before your malt ever touches the water. I'm sure Jim Koch knows this and pretreats the water.

Problem solved.

Tasted it again today and the flavor was much less significant. Hopefully it does off a little more. Next brew will be done with RO water.

Back