Kegged first brew now I have leftover beer in carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natebomb

Reaction score
I kegged my first brew and didn't realize that I should have had another container ready for the leftover beer. I have about a gallon of beer left in my carboy sitting on the yeast gunk. I just put the airlock back on and put it back in the dark. What is my best bet for using the rest of this beer? I'm guessing some plastic bottles from my local store?? I'm also assuming that the beer is fine sitting on the yeast? Hate to just dump the beer out.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid bottling as best as possible due to certain SWMBO restrictions. What would the consequences be of drinking around the same amount from the keg and then siphoning the rest into the keg? Would I be able to get the carb levels back to normal relatively quickly?

Only have one keg?

You should have exactly one gallon left, we make 5 IMP gallon batches here in Canada but he Corny Kegs are 5 US gallons, leaving exactly one gallon in your carboy.
Shoot a little CO2 in your carboy to expel any oxygen and you can put your airlock back on. Or put the gallon in another keg, and pressurize.

I usually bottle my extra gallon, but my last kegging adventure, I had 2 brews ready, I kegged both and then put the 2 remaining gallons together in another keg(somewhat similar styles), now I have 3 different beers to try when they are ready!

possible oxidation and contamination is first thought in my mind and that could mess the rest of the batch up. If you do this and don't manage to infect your batch them carbonation will eventually equalize.

growlers, growlers, growlers

Exactly, woke up mid sleep and realized that I'd have to make another investment. Man, this is an expensive hobby to get going eh? Still come out with cheaper and (hopefully) better beer in the long run!

Exactly, woke up mid sleep and realized that I'd have to make another investment. Man, this is an expensive hobby to get going eh? Still come out with cheaper and (hopefully) better beer in the long run!

just buy some with beer in it, drink the beer, clean out and reuse!

its a win-win!

:mug:

Back