Kegged beer not carbonating... what gives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
I've currently got 2 beers in my keezer, a blonde and an IPA. Both beers were kegged at the same time and sat in the keezer for a week at 11 psi, 37 degrees F (first time trying the set and forget method). I sampled them after a week to find no carbonation in either beer. Disappointed, I set them both to 30 psi for 24 hours. Next day I purge (both kegs are fully pressurized), set to 11 psi and sample, blonde is coming along, IPA still flat. A few more days at 11 psi pass and the blonde is now nicely carbonated and ready to drink, IPA still completely flat. Starting to scratch my head now so I shut off CO2 to the blonde, leave the IPA valve open, and crank the CO2 up to 35 psi. I hear it going into the IPA keg and it is holding pressure, no leaks coming from anywhere on the top of the keg. I try my beer again after 24 hours at 35 psi, completely flat. So wtf is going on with this IPA?

Some details:
  • Keg is holding pressure and I didn't see any leaks when sprayed with Starsan. I would also think if I had a gas leak my CO2 tank would be empty by now as it was already pretty low and this issue has been going on for just over a week. But this is not the case, tank still has CO2 and I can hear it filling the keg when I turn up psi or pour a sample.
  • IPA keg was not completely filled, I probably got 4.5 to 4.75 gallons of beer in there. Could this additional headspace slow down carbonation?
  • Aside from the headspace, the only other difference between the flat IPA and the carbed blonde that were kegged on the same day is I put 4 oz of hops in a tied-off paint strainer bag inside the IPA keg... but I can't see how this would affect carbonation.
  • IPA is 8% abv. Do stronger beers take longer to force carb? (wouldn't think so but who knows).
Thanks in advance, this is super frustrating and I want to figure it out!!

EDIT: Immediately after I made this post I decided to go dunk my gas disconnect in a cup of water to see what's up. Sure enough there was a slight leak coming from the end of the hose where the MFL barb went in. Looks like the Oetiker clamp that came with the gas assembly was not on tight enough. Lucky it didn't drain my already low CO2 tank. Replaced it with a worm clamp and all is well. Back to 30 psi and hopefully will have carbed IPA tomorrow. CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS PEOPLE!! :confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back