Kegged and ran out of CO2, bottle time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjhuebs

Naked Gnome Brew Co
Reaction score
Shortly after I kegged my beer I ran out of CO2. I am little tight on cash so CO2 isnt a necessity right now. The beer has been in the keg for about 2-3 weeks in the kegerator. Can I prime my keg and siphon into bottles and bottle condition to carbonate or will I have issues with my residual yeast waking up?

Shortly after I kegged my beer I ran out of CO2. I am little tight on cash so CO2 isnt a necessity right now. The beer has been in the keg for about 2-3 weeks in the kegerator. Can I prime my keg and siphon into bottles and bottle condition to carbonate or will I have issues with my residual yeast waking up?

You want your yeast to wake up to finish bottle carbonation hence the reason for priming in the first place. Did you get any carbonation CO2 in all all? If you did it might be a messy operation with some risk of over carbotation.

No carbonation at all from the very beginning.

Go for it then. You may even need to add yeast if its been that long. If it were me Id put 1/2 a tea spoon of corn sugar directly into one bottle, fill it up, cap it and wait 3 or 4 days and see if indeed your yeast does wake up and carbonate . If it doesn't you will need to pitch more.

You could also add the proper amount of sugar to the keg if you don't filter your beer the yeast will carbonate the entire keg. Seems pointless to transfer to bottles and risks more oxidation.

ive seen 1/2 to 3/5 tossed around as a figure for the amount fo carb sugar youd need in a keg vs bottle. makes sense youd need less since there is proportionally less headspace

you will need to take it out of the kegerator and let it warm for the yeast to do their job though

Latest posts

Back