Kegerator Tooooooo Cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s_barrows2

Reaction score
I recently acquired (free) a Haier 4.5 ft fridge ( model # BC 230) from a friend. It's really cold. I have it on the warmest setting with two different thermometers in it and they both say 30F. If I turn it colder at all it gets really cold. 25 and lower. This is a refrigerator and not a freezer. I checked to make sure I wasn't crazy. I have been messing with it for two days and still can't get it any warmer. Its in a basement that is around 55 to 60 degrees all day so I don't think that's the issue. Any suggestions on how to fix this, short of a temp controller? I am using it as a Kegerator. If temp controller is the answer what suggestions do you have. I have basically zero electrical skills. Thanks in advance for any help.

With zero skills, the Johnson Controls A419 with the pre-wired power and outlet cords are a safe bet - http://www.learntobrew.com/store/it...hermostat_Digital_Temperature_Controller.html

With a little research and patience, you could easily learn the skills to put together a controller using a STC1000 Temperature Controller. Google or search here to find some pretty good instructions. The Johnson controller is about $70, and you can build an STC1000 based controller for under $30. So you have to ask what's more valuable to you - your time learning and doing, or $40. I have both an A419 and STC1000 based. The Johnson is prettier and in F, the STC is ugly and in C. Both work to contol temperature.

Some refrigerators have a coarse adjustment screw that is user accessible.

Also, have you put a bottle of water or anything in it to see if it freezes and/or what it's temperature is after being in it overnight? The air temp will fluctuate much more than the temperature of a bottle, especially when there isn't much in the fridge.

Thanks for both suggestions. I did put a glass if water in the fridge and it did not freeze. Not sure what the temp of the water was though since my probe thermometer quit on me the other day (that's another story).

I gave in and ordered a Johnson A419 yesterday. Supposed to be here on Thursday. So that should solve my problem. I was planning on getting one at some point so this just gave me an excuse.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The refrigerator is always going to be colder with nothing in it. That is a result of airflow. When you add a keg or kegs, you slow down the airflow. I have commercial units at restaurants that I run that are 28 degrees when empty and struggle to get below 40 when the have product in them. The lesson air temperature means nothing, only product temperature or in your case "Beer" temperature.

Well you might want to put something in it (like a 5 gal bucket of water) to see how it responds to the thermal load and see how cold the liquid gets. I suspect it will just freeze your water. Some thermostats have an adjustment on it (not the dial). It could also be the temperature probe for the thermostat needs to be relocated. You would have to feel comfortable taking apart the thermostat to check these things (unplug the fridge first).

A temperature controller will definitely solve your problem. The Johnson control one requires no skills. Just plug it in the wall. Plug your fridge into the controller and put the probe in the fridge, but its expensive ($80....although you did just get a free fridge). A stc-1000 will also work and is cheaper ($20 + $20 for the other parts and wires) but requires some electrical work (wiring a plug, outlet and the controller itself)

K

I have a keg in there right now with 5 gallons of beer and a CO2 tank. It's still 30-31F. Is that still normal?

Thanks for the info. I broke down and bought a Johnson Controller. I was going to get one at some point anyway. So why not now. Should be here tomorrow.

I am not sure what the beer temp is. My thermometer crapped out on me (another separate issue) so I have no way of telling until I get a new thermometer. In hind site I should have ordered a new one in the same order as my temp controller.

Back