Kegerator taps throttling foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I've had my chest freezer taps for a couple years now - every once and a while it seems that they decide to act up and sometimes they act great.

Usually I just pour a foamy beer and move on with the night, but I've finally gotten SWMBO to serve herself and after a cup-o-foam last night, she swore if I didn't fix it, she'd be done self-serving.

Right now my setup is 4 taps on a collar in a chest freezer temp controlled w/ a Johnson at 34F - the probe is hanging down the middle of the chest freezer, about 1 inch off the bottom of the freezer. The beer seems to come out cold enough for my tastes (around 40F) and is usually carbed just where I want it.

I'm using 1/4" ID PET-Lined Better Bottle tubing - about 5-6 feet per tap and also have a pair of those swirly sticks in each pick-up tube on tap.

I switched to the PET-Lined tubing after the previous tubing i had gave a horrible plasticy taste to my beer.

I used to have the same issue (except for the wife self serving). I upgraded to 10 ft lines and problem solved. I would also use 3/16I.D. tubing, it will slow down the flow rate and serve less foam.

That length line requires 3/16" beer line, end of foam and one happy wife.

Back