Kegerator setup under $500?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93JeepYJ

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 4 years, done a few beers and a few ciders but always bottle, we'll I'm sick of bottles and want to start kegging and I want to start properly. I need everything to get me started, I will only need a single tap, I do like the idea of fitting a half barrel (but not a deal breaker if it can't) and I need to fit the co2 in the fridge. I've been looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014LGBJVC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_FwDewb043N9E0 but not sure if that's a good kegerator/deal or if I'm better off with something else? I do plan to use ball lock 5gal corny keg.

Most of the commercial kegerators on the market are set up for commercial kegs. You will most likely have to retrofit it to use corny kegs. But that is probably only tubing and the corny keg quick connect fittings.

Unless you do some retrofitting the half barrel will have different fittings than a corny keg and they are not usually used in a homebrew setting.

Personally I would look at something different. You could easily get that set up then decide that one keg is not enough. I have a refrigerator with 3 kegs/taps and wish I had a couple more...

I bought a chest freezer off Craigslist and sourced the rest of the parts to build a collar-style keezer myself. Cost me about $400 for a 2-tap setup.

Menards Criterion 7cuft chest freezer, new - 150.00
Homemade STC-1000 Temp controller, around 40.00 or less if you've got electrical stuff handy
5gal keg new 70.00 from Ritebrew or less if you're okay with used from AIH
Picnic tap setup (13' line and ends/clamps) around 15.00
Regulator - 35.00 from Ritebrew
CO2 lines and ends/clamps - around 8.00 (note, you can use cheaper 1/4" beverage line for CO2 line instead of the red tubing)
Tank - this varies, but I'd recommend that you call your local fire/police supply shops and see if they've got an old converted tank you can get cheap. That's how I found my steel tank for next to nothing with a full charge - otherwise there's a guy on here that sells tanks cheap enough to bank everything in to your 400$ budget. Go AL if you can.

It's doable, and for less than 400 - just depends on how much sweat equity you're willing to put in and understanding that while buying used can save you money on the frontside, it may cost you time/parts/labor/money on the back end.

It's totally, 110% worth it. Hands down, kegging is the best.

Latest posts

Back