Kegerator or student loans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's not the cool thing to do, but as someone who is 10 years into my student loan and still paying I say - PAY YOUR LOAN!

You will not regret it later in life and when you consider interest, it will result in a much nicer set up for you down the road.

My biggest problem was that I differed for about a year after college while I partied my money away. I don't regret the partying, but That $100 payment/mo was much easier to stomach than the $350/mo I have to pay now!

If the $3,600 you send each month is more than 2x your minimum payments, it sounds like you're already on a very aggressive debt reduction plan with a nice "debt snowball". A one-time $300 principle payment compared to doubling-down on your minimum payment every month is virtually negligible. If getting the keg setup interferes with your ability to double-down on your student loan payment for this month, then pay your student loan. Otherwise, I say get the keg setup.

Not trying to be rude or *****ey in anyway...but I'll assume that the massive debt means you actually graduated and as such, do you really have to ask?

Pay down your debt...period.

I'm just finishing saving up for a wedding, making my goal of paying off 35k in debt this year, and quitting my job to move home after my lease is over (provided I can find one ahead of time).

Buy the kegerator out of the wedding money. Serve homebrew at the wedding and save way more than $300 on the bar tab. You get the kegerator you want, your guests get better beer and you save money.

Easy Peasy.

So my kegerator fund was depleted when I bought and iPhone. But my car tax this year is 300$ less then I saved for! Should I spend this money on getting a freezer and some kegs for a kegerator or put it towards my massive student loan debt? Tough decision.

"car tax"... lol. I lived in WVA for 2 years and was darn surpirsed to find a tax collector at my door. We sat down and determined the Kelly BB value of my car and I wrote a check for a few bucks and he was gone.

BTW, if you have a "kegerator fund" you ususally don't buy iPhones with it. iPhones come from the "usless **** I don't need fund". You need a Kegerator.

:mug:

Back