Kegerator Meltdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu100

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post. I have a fridge Kegerator with everything working well for a while and then suddenly the blackness in the freezer happened (displayed below). Also, the back panel has been removed to maybe help analyze the problem.

I was wondering if anyone knows what happened and if it is an easy/inexpensive fix?

Freezer destruction.jpg

Electrical arcing caused that, possibly caused by insulation failure near those heat transfer coils. Try patching in some new wire and avoid coils (please un-plug prior to attempting).

Thanks for the reply! So I'm just making sure, but you're saying under the black circle with the burn marks are wires that failed, and I must add new wire.

If so how would I go about getting to the actual wire? It may be a dumb question, but I have no experience with this so any details could help.

Thanks again!

That definitely looks like electrical arcing. It should be pretty easy to figure out which wire it came from. Replace the wire and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for the reply. Real quick. How would I prevent it from happening again? You think just a new wire should have it good to go for a while?

Thanks

It isn't behind the wall, I would inspect the wire nut up top and trace wire down. A good rubber tape under electrical tape should keep moisture out. Did you have a frozen coil there? Be safe and keep new wire clear of coils.

After blowing up picture it looks like it has happened before. Definitely inspect that wad of a splice. The coils can be very hot during heat transfer

ThatSimpleman said:
It isn't behind the wall, I would inspect the wire nut up top and trace wire down. A good rubber tape under electrical tape should keep moisture out. Did you have a frozen coil there? Be safe and keep new wire clear of coils.

My bad meant to respond, but I have no idea if it was frozen or not. Hasn't been plugged in obviously and never looked at it before

"Looks like it has happened before?"
Really, guys?!
Toss that thing in the trash...yesterday...and get a new one.
Not worth burning your house/appartment down and possibly yourself/SWMBO/pets.
This is nothing to handyman.

As a hobbyist and a professional electrician I would fix as $ is always an issue but I do that for a living (fix things). Buy one, it's just money.

ThatSimpleman said:
As a hobbyist and a professional electrician I would fix as $ is always an issue but I do that for a living (fix things). Buy one, it's just money.

So you do think I can fix it with minimal skills? I'm honestly not worried about a fire b/c like you said this has happened before.

Latest posts

Back