Kegerator keg emptyness meter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysteryberto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking online trying to find some way to measure the amount of beer left in the kegs in my kegerator. The closest thing I could find was the draft beer measuring system.
http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=21393&cat=772&page=1

However at $80 it's expensive and only measures one keg. What's more it only is accurate plus or minus ten beers and can fail to read right if serving pressure is too low.

So I was thinking that the weight of a full corney is about 50lbs. Why not instead have scales under each corny connected to a digital controller and displayed outside the kegerator? I'm lost as far as what electronics and scales I would need to do this. Or if it's even feasible.

If you pull the keg out of the kegerator for a minute, the condensation will only form as high as the beer level inside the keg. That should give you the same, if not better, estimate than +/- 10 beers. You could also get a tare weight of your empty keg and just put it on a bathroom scale. Figure out your beer's weight per volume and you could measure down to the fluid ounce depending on your scale.

Definately can think of more than a few things that I woul rather spend 80 bucks on than that gizmo.

If you pull the keg out of the kegerator for a minute, the condensation will only form as high as the beer level inside the keg...

There's a product the MoreBeer sell that works on this principle.

It is like a reuseable stick on fermenter thermometer - stick it to the side of the keg, wipe with a warm, damp cloth, and it shows the level of beer in the keg.

The only problem with the above is that you need to have your kegs at around 4 - 5C to get a reading, most of the time my kegerator is set at 10C so it doesn't really work that well.

I've bought a couple digital bathroom scales at the thrift store for a couple of bucks a piece for this exact purpose.

I haven't had a chance to play around with them though...I suspect their may be issues with them power cycling or re-zeroing (?) but it may be as simple as extending the lcd display out to where it is visible.

It certainly wouldn't be expensive but you'd only have probably +/- .5 lbs resolution but that would be better than +/- 10 beers.

Latest posts

Back