Kegerator for Christmas... which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simps984

Reaction score
Howdy all, I'm looking for some kind of consensus vote as to which kegerator (note that I'm interested only in those that are already converted) is best out there. Price range: $500-700, would prefer a dual tap as well. If you can't recommend a specific model, could you at least suggest one or two reliable brands?

Thanks all!

I can't make an informed recommendation based on your criteria.

I will tell you that a store bought kegerator will require some modification for homebrew kegs. (Do you have any of those?)

<Edit Wrong>There is no consumer model that I am aware of that comes with more than one tap. They are chiefly designed for commercial half barrels.</Edit Wrong>

A Commercial unit may have multiple taps, but you couldn't touch a new one for less than $1500.00 upwards to $5000.00.

I would buy one used for $300 off ebay or craigslist and then spend the $200 on upgrades, dual tower, vent-matics.

OK some good feedback here so far. I guess I should be clear, So far I've been looking at models on beveragefactory and other similar websites. I don't know how many people have opinions on these, I'm just trying to get an idea of which might be best.

I'd spend the money on a chest freezer and necessary hardware/parts. You'll end up spending about the same amount of money either way, but the converted chest freezer will typically give you more room for kegs.

What do people think about the Haier and Sanyo kegerators?

A freezer would be nice, maybe down the road though. I'm a student, about to graduate in a few weeks. This is going to be an xmas/graduation present for me. I'm starting a full-time job in January, and will be moving into a VERY small apartment. A big chest freezer isn't a realistic option in the near term. Additionally, I'm not that handy, and neither is my mom. For me, getting a pre-converted kegerator that I can 100% rely on is the best use of my time and energy.

If anyone has any more feedback as to which brands are the most reliable, or conversely, which ones to avoid, I would really appreciate it!

rbridges01 said:
What do you mean forward seal?

Basically, "forward seal" faucets, often called Perlicks or Ventmatics, are designed differently than normal faucets to eliminate "sticking" issues, among other improvements.

Some people don't care, but many of the people on here swear by Perlicks because of their ease of use and ease of maintenance.

Edit: Sorry, my info was not historically accurate. Ventmatic is the company that used to produce them, but closed. Perlick is one of the manufacturers currently producing forward-seal faucets, as is Shirron, who currently makes Ventmatic reproductions, which you can find for sale on Northern Brewer.

Back