Kegerator/Ferm Chamber Freon Pipe Crushed/Torn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioa84

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a problem and I'm unsure of the best route to go.

Short Version: I pinched and tore one of the lines coming from the compressor on a mini fridge I cannibalized for a kegerator. Can this be salvaged?

Longer Version: My kitchen is only so big and I wanted a kegerator. SWMBO wanted an island. Compromise: Build an island with a kegerator inside. I am at least semi-handy and have some woodworking experience so I decided to go for it. I bought a 4.4 cu ft Danby mini fridge from NFM for the purpose and went to disassembling it. Once I had it apart, I set it to the side while I was working on the cabinet. In the meantime, the line that goes from the compressor to the U-shaped radiator in the interior of the fridge kinked and then tore.

1. Am I stuck with a $160 paper weight or can it be repaired?
2. Has anyone had this type of repair done before?

Any general advice?

8O0IxRl.png

Last edited:
That could be repaired rather easily by purging the system cutting out the damaged tubing and sweat-soldering a sleeve coupler in place.
And as long as all that was going to happen, installing a valve set would be easily done as well.
When all that's done the system can be vacuum tested before refilling with refrigerant.

If you took the poor thing to an HVAC service they'll likely ding you for a couple hundred bucks. More if you make them come to you...

Cheers! (and good luck!)

Back