kegerator condensation freezes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
I have my kegerator set at 41° and the back wall gets coated with condensation and freezes. I suppose i could get that stuff that absorbs moisture but how does it freeze at 41????

how do you deal with this issue?

Having the exact same issue at 41 degrees. I have damprid and an Eva Dry in there and it still happens. Would love an answer.

Happens to me too. also have an Eva Dry in there but i still get puddles from the condensation.

Your temp is set to 41 but if your kegerator is like mine then that is the part that cools the kegerator. Only thing i can think you can do is make sure your drain hole on the bottom stays clear.

I use my wet vac and clean mine out every couple of weeks. I have damp rid in it and it still builds up puddles in the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Your temp is set to 41 but if your kegerator is like mine then that is the part that cools the kegerator. Only thing i can think you can do is make sure your drain hole on the bottom stays clear.

it freezes the drain hole first and by the time i kick a keg I need to get a pick and chip it out. oh well, if it happens to others even with eva dry, i guess it isn't hurting anything.

Mine freezes in the drain hole as well, just have to keep chipping away at it. I have not found any way to stop it yet.

I had this problem with my previous keezer. Once it died and I replaced it I added some 1" thick pink foam board to the inside of the wooden collar and it's never happened with this keezer. I think thickly insulating the wood on the inside helped a lot since wood is a poor insulator. I notice my keezer cycles a lot less now as well.
I tried the granular water sorbents in the past but never had success with them, maybe it was too cold for it to work effectively?

The condensation freezes because the wall of the freezer will dip below 32 degrees during a cooling cycle. If the freezer wall never got below your 40 degree setpoint it would take quite a while to cool anything.

There are a lot of threads on the topic of condensation. Make sure you don't have any air leaks, and that every seam is caulked. And stop opening the damn thing! At that point you've done everything you can, and you should still expect some condensation.

As day_trippr pointed out in another thread, during a cooling cycle the pressure will drop in the freezer so it will pull some outside air in. So condensation is inevitable.

The desiccants work pretty well as long as you have air movement in your fridge. I have an eva-dry that I have on the compressor hump right below where my fan is mounted; that's generally enough to prevent condensation, and I only have to regenerate it every 5 weeks or so. Others have had better luck by mounting fans directly onto the desiccant.

The coolant lines running in the back of the unit will be well below 32 degrees to get the entire kegerator down to temperature. I had one of my taps/shanks out of my kegerator door for 24 hours and 1/2" of ice built up on the back, simply from the extra moisture the 1" hole let in. Make sure your kegerator is sealed and the door gasket is making contact.

Back