Kegco Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want bearings and will run the mill with a motor and pulleys. Sometimes they say it has bushings, sometime bearings.

Kegco site says bushings
Bev Factory says bushings
eBay ad says bearings

Has anyone received a mill with bushings instead of bearings?
Thats been brought up in this thread a few times and asked by myself before I bought mine...
The kegco mill has real bearings and NOT bronze bushings. it has never been reported by anyone here to have come with bushings even from the first thread here on them...
Kegco just grabbed the incorrect info from monstermill when they ripped off their description word for word.

I have the kegco and just like the 2 roller version and cereal killer it has real bearings. I also use pulley drive.
this mill is also sold as the keg king maltmuncher as well by places like morebeer.

Can anyone out there help me figure out what bolts I need to mount this?

I just ordered a monster mill base.

I started with a Kegco 3 roller, then bought an MM3 so I have one of each. I know the Monster Mill base will work with either as the holes align perfectly on the Kegco too. The MM3 base is tapped for a 1/4"-20 bolt, and I remember the MM3 bolt would not work in the Kegco. I ended up buying metric bolts for the Kegco. If I remember correctly they must have been 8mm....its slightly larger than the 1/4" so I think its bound to be 8mm.

EDIT-I said the MM3 base is tapped for 1/4"-20 but I meant to say the frame of the MM3 is tapped for this size.

Last edited:
I started with a Kegco 3 roller, then bought an MM3 so I have one of each. I know the Monster Mill base will work with either as the holes align perfectly on the Kegco too. The MM3 base is tapped for a 1/4"-20 bolt, and I remember the MM3 bolt would not work in the Kegco. I ended up buying metric bolts for the Kegco. If I remember correctly they must have been 8mm....its slightly larger than the 1/4" so I think its bound to be 8mm.

EDIT-I said the MM3 base is tapped for 1/4"-20 but I meant to say the frame of the MM3 is tapped for this size.

8mm is what I used.

Perfect, thanks guys!

Feeler gauge is $3.48 at Wal-Mart in case anyone cares.

One thing I felt frustration from when I bought the Kegco, was there were absolutely no operating instructions included. There were a few instructions how to bolt the mill together, but nothing at all how to set up the gap and use the mill.

Luckily I discovered that the MM3 operates basically identically as the Kegco, and I watched set-up videos on YouTube for the operation of the MM3. Feeler gauges are helpful, and with some instruction for the MM3, I was able to setup the Kegco properly.

FYI I ended up needing 6mm bolts to mount it. The size must have changed at some point.

30mm length and some washers works perfectly for the monster mill base.

about to put mine together, on the hopper, nuts in or out?
I went nuts out!

Think this would minimize resistance. Depends on your tools whether you can get the bottom screws on this way though (need an offset/s-shaped screw driver, and something to screw the nut).

well, the unpacking was going well until I took the mill out of the box....
it fell apart in my hands, and one end plate was really in bad shape.

One bearing, was not pressed in all the way, and the race cover has a dent in it. Also, the hole where the adjustment knob seats is badly machined
20180613_202252.jpg
20180613_202437.jpg
20180613_202229.jpg
20180613_201424.jpg

Thats not how mine looked at all at that adjustment cam.. might want to contact the beverage factory about it. if it was just the bearing id say it was functionally a non issue as those covers have clearance. these things happen unfortunatley with everything... last week there was a thread on a MM3 that had the posts at the end of the rollers cut poorly where they ride in the bushings and MM addressed it right away... lets see how the beverage factory deals with it.

Just to be clear, I am disappointed because I was looking forward to putting it together .I am not upset at this point, stuff happens.

I contacted BF last night, even sent links to the pictures. Now just waiting to see what is next

My Kegco 3 roller is approaching its one year birthday. It's going strong, and hasn't given me any headaches.

The machining on mine looked really good all over. I assembled my hopper with the nuts out, so the inside is as smooth as possible.

My Kegco 3 roller is approaching its one year birthday. It's going strong, and hasn't given me any headaches.

The machining on mine looked really good all over. I assembled my hopper with the nuts out, so the inside is as smooth as possible.

On your 3 roller.........Were there any setup pains to make it function well?

For example, any problems noted whilst bolting it down or the like, throwing the roller alignment out, etc....?

I ask because I have an Ecuadoran friend with a 3 roller Monster Mill, and he's mentioned some setup problems.

I've not seen it yet.

I brought him back a replacement roller for his 2 roller Monster Mill, the one with the 3/8" dia. shaft.........Said shaft is approx. 3" long, and he had a 10" pulley hanging on the end of it, and combined with the associated belt tension, it snapped it off flush with the roller!

He's planning to visit and see the direct drive setup on mine, to get rid of his belt setup.

FWIW, the machining on your mill looks sloppy or at least has suffered some damage. It almost looks like a customer return you happened to get instead of a brand new mill. If this were mine, and while understanding you are eager to get the mill going, I think I'd send it back for a replacement.

Also, I didn't have any operating instructions with mine. After I realized this was a metric version of the MM3 (knockoff), I watched YouTube videos on the MM3 setup which is the same as the Kegco.

At one point one of my bearings came out of the frame and I tapped it carefully back in place. With all assembled and affixed to a base, there should be no issues from that concern.

... any problems noted whilst bolting it down or the like, throwing the roller alignment out, etc....?

No problems at all. Everything lined up perfectly during assembly. When you assemble the hopper leave all the nuts loose until you get all the bolts/nuts in place (that's good advice for assembling most anything).

The four bolts that hold it to a baseplate are metric, and you have to supply your own. It was easy to measure the hole spacing and drill a matching hole pattern in my base.

For setting the gap & roller alignment use a feeler gauge set and make sure both ends are set the same. Nothing difficult there.

My only criticism is that the mill came with zero documentation. That's not a criticism of the product, the mill itself was just fine. A quick google search answered the questions I had about assembly & adjustment.

... 2 roller Monster Mill...3/8" dia. shaft...snapped it off flush with the roller!

He really did something wrong if he broke that shaft, probably way too much belt tension.

when this gets sorted, I will just order a base I think

The base sold for an MM3 on their website is ideal and a perfect fit for the Kegco which is built identically...at least the size of the frame and spacing on the pre-drilled mounting holes is the same. One difference is the Kegco is drilled and tapped for a metric thread...6mm is what I think will work.

the maltmunchier base and accessories like the motor upgrade kit bolt right up as well since these "kegco branded" mills are also sold as the kegking maltmunchier series mills.

Just got off the phone with BF, their system rejected my email because of the links, so I sent a new email with the pic, back to the waiting game.

T

Got an email today from BF, they are sending me a new mill, and provided me a shipping label to send the old one back.
All in all, even though it was a bummer to get a busted mill, so far it has been handled pretty well on their end.

T

Got an email today from BF, they are sending me a new mill, and provided me a shipping label to send the old one back.
All in all, even though it was a bummer to get a busted mill, so far it has been handled pretty well on their end.

T

Sounds like they are keeping their end of the deal. I think you will be happy for $127 shipped. If you have the room, I would suggest sourcing a small table or chest to mount the mill on. You can likely come across something free or very cheap that in the long run will be more convenient than the MM base. JMO

I have an idea in my head, but not sure if I will go that way.
Thinking about making base that fits on a bucket and milling into the bag, but still need to think it through...dough balls...ya know.

If not that, then mounting it to a sturdy tote of some sort

T

Thinking about making base that fits on a bucket and milling into the bag, but still need to think it through...dough balls...ya know.

T
I mounted it onto the monster mill base and mill into a bucket using a drill. Cheap, easy, portable.

T
Off topic (I guess) but concerning doughballs: Since my first all grain brew, I've underlet the mash and sparge water. Heck, the fittings, the valves, the hoses...it was all just there. I've never seen a doughball, it just works, every time. I don't see how a biab would be any different.

replacement mill arrived yesterday, looks good on initial inspection. going to try and out it together this weekend, then mail the old one back

Ive been using my kegco 3 roller for 5 batches now. Set it with a feeler gauge, dont trust the markings on the dial, other than that its a solid mill

I ordered and received my 3 roller mill. They shipped it immediately and packed it well. It has bearings as everyone else has reported. I would put the hopper together first, then attach it to the mill if I were to do it again. I think it's easier to get the hopper in a comfortable angle to tighten the screws/nuts without a heavy mill attached to it.

I plan on motorizing with an electric motor and 4L pulley I have laying around. There's been some inflation since this BYO article, I think this 12" V Belt pulley with a 1/2" bore will work, and it's the cheapest I found at $35. Does anyone have any better ideas for a 10" to 12" pulley? Once I get it motorized I'll post a picture.

I ordered and received my 3 roller mill. They shipped it immediately and packed it well. It has bearings as everyone else has reported. I would put the hopper together first, then attach it to the mill if I were to do it again. I think it's easier to get the hopper in a comfortable angle to tighten the screws/nuts without a heavy mill attached to it.

I plan on motorizing with an electric motor and 4L pulley I have laying around. There's been some inflation since this BYO article, I think this 12" V Belt pulley with a 1/2" bore will work, and it's the cheapest I found at $35. Does anyone have any better ideas for a 10" to 12" pulley? Once I get it motorized I'll post a picture.
When i ordered my kegco mill, i looked into the bearings, and what i read said this mill should be direct drive as the bearings will wear much faster with lateral pressure. Not saying you shouldnt do it, but thought i would put it out there for you.

fwiw, the side-loading issue can be removed by using a bearing block between the mill and big pulley.
That said I'm not a big fan of belt-drives, though I understand the alternatives are more expensive...

Cheers!

Back