Keg without CO2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theinterneti

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, assuming this has been answered before...

Don't have the requisite bottles on hand for a brew for a ferment that is a week in. Planning on getting into kegging soon. Don't exactly have the cash for a full system (tank, regulator, tap and keg) this month.

Would it be reasonable to buy just a keg then fill it with my cider and a bit of priming sugar, then leave it for a month or two?

Would the pressure from a natural ferment allow for serving without a tank? Or would I have to hook up a bottle then and get to serving pressure?

That is if the keg even seals well enough at 0 initial pressure.
Then there is the oxidation issue due to not purging the air from the headspace.

You need:
  • keg(s)
  • CO2 tank
  • regulator
You can get away with using a $4 picnic tap on a 6' hose instead of real taps in a fridge/freezer.

Have you looked on Craigslist?

Please forgive my ignorance, assuming this has been answered before...

Don't have the requisite bottles on hand for a brew for a ferment that is a week in. Planning on getting into kegging soon. Don't exactly have the cash for a full system (tank, regulator, tap and keg) this month.

Would it be reasonable to buy just a keg then fill it with my cider and a bit of priming sugar, then leave it for a month or two?

Would the pressure from a natural ferment allow for serving without a tank? Or would I have to hook up a bottle then and get to serving pressure?
You could just do the whole process in the keg... leaving head space for the krausen.. a spunding valve is needed..or a gas line need acting as the blow off.. you can do it this with a corny

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 88
It'll seal and it'll serve many glasses. But... It will go flat and stop pouring way before you finish the keg.

No problem at all with priming with sugar in the keg and leaving it for an extended period. And no problem serving a few glasses from it. But it will start losing pressure once you start serving from it and the carbonation level will drop and eventually it'll stop pushing out of the keg.

I appreciate this thread, answers exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like I’m going to have to get a little bit of equipment!

Looks like I’m going to have to get a little bit of equipment!
Welcome to kegging world!
Aside for the main apparatus I mentioned before and the taps/shanks, you'll need hoses ("tubing"), QDs, clamps, splitters (or Ts) for gas or better yet, a gas manifold with shutoffs + check valves, keg lube, and likely some other sundries depending on your build.

I went for using "MFL" connections for ease of disassembly/cleaning/modifications instead of barbs.

I picked up a 15# tank with dual body regulator and a keg off Craigslist as well as some other gear. It was an hour drive each way, but well worth the trip.

Not sure how vigorous the homebrew community is where you are, but I got (not all from the same place or time) 3 5lb tanks and two regulators for abut $90. I think the key with getting deals on any homebrew equipment is that you have to play the long game. If you want it in the next month, you might not find a deal.....within the next 6 months - you probably will (especially if you're willing to drive a bit).

I got all of mine through Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. There are a bunch around me right now for sale.

Not sure how vigorous the homebrew community is where you are, but I got (not all from the same place or time) 3 5lb tanks and two regulators for abut $90. I think the key with getting deals on any homebrew equipment is that you have to play the long game. If you want it in the next month, you might not find a deal.....within the next 6 months - you probably will (especially if you're willing to drive a bit).

I got all of mine through Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. There are a bunch around me right now for sale.

I’ll check out CL, I didn’t even know Facebook had a market because I’m never on it. I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area so I’m sure there’s something. Thanks for the reminder about short vs long game. I get impatient and set timeframes I can’t meet to execute the work so then I spend more and stuff sits.

Wow, thanks for all the helpful replies!

@TechFanMD -- Portland, OR. Beervana baby! Home of the oldest homebrew store in the US. Mainbrew is my neighborhood store and it's awesome. Great prices, always have what I'm looking for.

@Weideshire really glad that this thread has already helped someone else!

Found a pair of single-handle 5 gal corny's posted last week on CL for $60. Got lucky. Picking those up ASAP.

Keeping things as basic as possible for now, I will also need...
  • A co2 tank
  • A regulator -- tapright dual gage w/check valve, or would it be smarter to shell out a little extra dual BODY, two product gauge?
  • hand faucet (aka picinic tap)
  • gas line
  • beer line
  • Fittings (4 ball joint quick disconnects)

Back