Keg with PLASTIC Top and Bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfie_Brewer

Reaction score
I'm starting to build a brewing system and I have acquired a 13.2 gallon European 1/2 barrel keg and I was wondering about converting it. The problem is that it has a molded plastic shell on top and bottom. I assumed this was done to save on the amount of stainless that went into the keg. I removed the bottom plastic and now I am left with a keg that has a tapered, slightly coned, bottom. Any thoughts on making the keg sit properly on my burner??

It seems as these type of kegs are the only type available to me (I'm in Newfoundland, Canada) so I have to come up with some way to make them work. Also the handles on top are molded plastic that will likely fall off when the keg is heated....Are handles in the converted keg REALLY necessary or is it just a luxury.

I'd say get a welder to put some type of feet on it, or design and weld some sort of mount that will work with your burner (maybe modify your burner too). If you do that you can get them to put on some handles and a coupling for a drain.
Also WTF is up with the Molson India Beer in NFLD??? I expected an IPA, but that stuff is undrinkable! but for some reason I like the Dominion?

Back